Author Topic: I think the new controller is finished!!  (Read 5392 times)

Offline frackers

• If it moves - computerise it!
I think the new controller is finished!!
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:59:26 am »
Well, it is at least now looking after the turbine by way of the inverter and dump load and providing all the logging I require.

Details are at http://gilks.ath.cx/~g8ecj/New_Turbine/new_controller.html but perhaps the best writeup is to grab the software from the link at the bottom of the page and have a look at the README file contained therein!!

I'd appreciate any comments :)
Robin Down Under (or are you Up Over!)

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
Re: I think the new controller is finished!!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:00:59 am »
Well, it is at least now looking after the turbine by way of the inverter and dump load and providing all the logging I require.

Details are at http://gilks.ath.cx/~g8ecj/New_Turbine/new_controller.html but perhaps the best writeup is to grab the software from the link at the bottom of the page and have a look at the README file contained therein!!

I'd appreciate any comments :)

Very nice work.  Congrats.

CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:24:30 am »
Nice job!

The fet board looks pretty to me!

Did you make the dump load because you could, or to save money?
Was it worth the effort?
Looks like a lot of time and money in the dump load.
G-

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 03:19:02 pm »
Thats a nicely presented well thought out project.

You show far more bravery than me... you used those infernal surface mount thinggies... I turn into a snivelling whimp every time I have to work with them.

I also like to use single side where I can, except for power boards in pwm stuff.

There is only one thing more than surface mount stuff that scares me..... and thats when they are potted. ( like the Polaris ATV CDI unit I had to fix the other night).

Very nice project

.............oztules

Edit:
Like this:
444-0
An hour to dig the gunk out, and 10 mins to fix the thing.
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline frackers

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:22:18 pm »
Thats a nicely presented well thought out project.

You show far more bravery than me... you used those infernal surface mount thinggies... I turn into a snivelling whimp every time I have to work with them.

I also like to use single side where I can, except for power boards in pwm stuff.

Very nice project

............oztules

All my stuff is single sided as well - but when a lot of the devices I want to use are surface mount then you just have to go with the flow... You'll see that all the passive components (apart from the decoupling on the FET driver) are through hole. I think it makes layout a lot easier as I can route under resistors etc and avoid a lot of links by using nice big chunky parts :)

I agree on the potting - nasty stuff...

Offline frackers

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 04:34:32 pm »
Did you make the dump load because you could, or to save money?
Was it worth the effort?
Looks like a lot of time and money in the dump load.
G-

Not a lot of money but a fair amount of time. Electric oven elements are a good source of high temperature resistors and simple to modify (i.e. cut into short lengths for lower resistance) for low voltage operation. When I get home tonight I'll post a picture of the Mk2 which was made from the elements out of a storage heater (also called a night store in some parts of the world). This contained 4 1kw elements between large ceramic bricks which again was subject to a hacksaw but since the elements were "W" (or "M") shaped all the termination are on one side. Pretty much as per http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/articles/BuildingEncapsulatedResistors.asp

The Mk3 will be a 50amp load (the first 2 being 25 amp loads) which should test the FET driver a bit harder.

Offline frackers

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 04:54:01 am »
As promised some pix of the Mk2 dump load. The 50amp Mk3 will be of the same design.