Author Topic: Fuel efficient battery charging project  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Volvo farmer

• Forum Advisors
  • milliwatt
Fuel efficient battery charging project
« on: February 05, 2012, 12:41:31 pm »
My neighbors called me a couple weeks ago because their power was out. They had an old Trace PS2524 and it was still humming along but no voltage out.  They ordered a new Outback and let me fool with their old one. I found a bad solder joint on the AC board where this big toroidal coil was attached.  Ten minutes with a soldering iron and I had fixed the thing!

So they let me borrow it. I had this old Honda EM1000 generator laying around that someone gave me, and I wanted to charge batteries with a generator without burning a gallon an hour in my 7500 watt Generac. 

This morning, I found a 100A DC breaker laying around and hooked up the Trace to the DC power panel. Then I strung a cut-off extension cord out of the AC side of it.  I adjusted the AC amp limit on the inverter/charger to 7A and fired up the generator.  It loaded down some and the battery voltage began to rise.. Sweet!  I left my clamp meter at work so I cant accurately measure AC or DC amps yet, but I do know it's working.  I adjusted the AC amp limit again to 8A and no faults came up.  I think that's as high as I'm going to go without measuring.

I'm almost out of room on the power walls! 2 inverters, 4 charge controllers, wind turbine rectifiers, dump load and stop switch. It's starting to look a little crowded in there.

Just checked the thing after 2 hours and it looks like it used 1/4 tank of fuel. I'm pretty sure it only holds 1 gallon so I could run it all day long for $4 in fuel. I estimate I'm getting 15-20 ADC out, which on a day like today, just about offsets the maximum loads, so whenever the refrigerator turns off, I'm actually charging batteries a little.  This is a major improvement!

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
Re: Fuel efficient battery charging project
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:26:05 pm »
Nice work VF!  did you already order one of those chinese chargers off ebay we were talking about a bit back?    i'm already getting excited to get mine and try it out!

very clean wiring btw.  way better than mine!

adam

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:28:31 pm »
VF, the DC out to the battery is usually 4x AC input amps with those units.

That is just cool   ;D
--
Chris

Offline Volvo farmer

• Forum Advisors
  • milliwatt
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 05:51:27 pm »
I did not order one of those chargers. This Trace fell into my lap about the time I was thinking about it.  Funny you should mention wiring, until last month, all the wiring to the wind turbine Classic was strung out around the front of the DC box!

Even though I had the AAC set to 8A, the built in meter on the PS2524 was running between 5 and 6 amps. Just for fun, I cranked the input up to 10A and sure enough the inverter disconnected from the generator after about 45 seconds. I don't know if it went low on voltage or frequency, but it's nice to know that whatever crappy off voltage, off frequency power comes out of this generator, it is in no way connected to the AC loads in my house!

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:53:04 pm »
Well, whatever she'll do.  That has got to be the heaviest duty battery charger for a 1 kW gen ever.  LOL!  I like it.  That's something I'd come with and other people would laugh at it.  But what works, works.    :)
--
Chris