Author Topic: solar panel protection  (Read 4072 times)

Offline philb

• No Personal Text Set by User
solar panel protection
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:42:31 am »
I am still in the brainstorming phase of solar panel construction. We do occasionally get large hail in the mid western US.
I have not seen any protection schemes against hail storms. Last year we had hail large enough to break the safety glass in autos. That doesn't happen very often, but we do get 3 inch diameter stuff once every other year.

A few ideas...
1. Cover with a sheet of safety glass. That would do the job but might inhibit their power production.

2. Mount the panels on a rack similar to this.The panels could be rotated so they face downward during bad weather.

3.Enlist the help of James Bond to make an automatic device to lower the panels into a vault. LOL

4. Forget the whole idea and take my chances.

I don't want to buy insurance against solar panel damage. That would be an expensive add-on to the policy.

Any ideas?

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Re: solar panel protection
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:19:22 pm »
I don't want to buy insurance against solar panel damage. That would be an expensive add-on to the policy.

Phil;

It probably doesn't apply but my solar PV array is covered under the "outside electrical" on our policy. This is a farm and other items it covers are well pump, overhead feed lines, etc. Never bought "city" insurance so no clue if they have that in town?

They do not cover turbines with out a rider written specifically for each unit. They need engineering specs for those, too which means they do not cover homebrew stuff period.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline philb

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: solar panel protection
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:07:17 pm »
Tom,
I don't live in town and haven't since finishing USMC duties in the '70's. 
The farmers in my area (including me) have insurance that covers house and sometimes the barn. Anything more than that will suck most of the profits out of a farming operation here. Can you PM me with the name of the company you use?

I had rather create my own policy through overbuilding the system when it's installed.   ;)