Author Topic: solar laminates  (Read 18243 times)

Offline philb

• No Personal Text Set by User
solar laminates
« on: January 29, 2012, 12:18:12 am »
Sun electronics has laminates for sale in various wattages.  They are now 58 cents per watt.  I can't buy the cells and make my own for that price.
http://www.sunelec.com/solar-laminates-c-47.html

Does anyone here have experience with mounting the J-boxes on these panels?  Did you find the job easy or difficult?

Is mono-crystalline  or poly-crystalline best? I will be mounting them (if I buy) in an area that has no shade obstructions.

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
Re: solar laminates
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:28:03 am »
Gads thats a good price. I can't make them for that.... and I've made a few:

And a few more than that too.......58 cents.... drool.

.............oztules

Edit : Mine are just a bigger than those 245 poly panels on their site.
307-1
 I have 66 cells per laminate. As you see, there is no shading issue for me either, but i did use a single diode (blocking) anyway.... no real excuse I can think off... I guess it's just because I had them.

I just silicone the jbox on and put in a few 1meter leads out. In my case the leads are inside conduit (flexible) and they then go to more electrical j-boxes on the array frame so the whole lot is water proof from panel to final j-box wiring loom (also in conduit) that runs the whole length and stitches them up into two banks.
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:12:04 am »
"Does anyone here have experience with mounting the J-boxes on these panels?  Did you find the job easy or difficult?"

The big boys just silicone them on.
Might be a good idea to use a non acid bearing silicone if it will be on any conductors, and it most probably will to keep the conductors from flexing during handling and snapping off.
The stuff I have here is Dap 3.0 ($6 / tube at Lowe's).

Typically, the panels have 3 or 4 flat wide conductors leaving the rear of the panel.  They are soldered to a terminal strip, which may or may not be molded into the J-box.

This one is a European Photowatt, so is different than most, but it was still just siliconed on.
The conductors were coated with that brownish-red silicone-ish stuff first, then the whole assembly was squished down in a large quantity of silicone.

Hope that makes sense,
G-

311-0

Offline birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:09:14 am »
phil-
i bought six laminates from sunelec last year.  245watters, 30.5vmp.  including freight shipping from miami, FL to portland, OR, they were still less than a buck a watt.  they were "sun" brand.

the cells/glass were very beautiful/clean ect.  the J box wasn't there, but you could tell it was there at one point.  they tear them off and it leaves that area a little torn up.  four flat tabbing wires exited the panels for connections. 

i made nice clean wood frames for them out of clear fir, and siliconed a plastic 4square box with the back hogged out for the tabbing wire to come through. worked beautifully. 

for me, it's worth my time/energy to "finish" these laminates rather than buying "panels" at a much greater cost. 

FYI- i'd order over the phone, and not via their webpage.  small orders are not these folk's specialty, and they don't care about customer service if your order is less than 10K FWIW. 

adam

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:28:25 am »
Would it be possible for someone to explain what is all involved in finishing these laminates to the point they are ready to mount?
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:34:31 am »
Would it be possible for someone to explain what is all involved in finishing these laminates to the point they are ready to mount?

Yeah, me too! Be curious to know this. I could probably convince the CFO they would be a good investment "if" I could make them useful without dropping a lot extra on the framing / etc.

I cannot seem to get their how to video to play here?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 12:50:51 pm »
It does not seen there ho to video shows more than how to add the junction boxes anyway Tom so your not missing much.

Offline wilfor03

• USA - Union Grove, Al
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 01:19:17 pm »

I cannot seem to get their how to video to play here?

Tom

Try this address "http://www.sunelec.com/videobox/videoplayer.php" .....it worked for me....See ya

Offline philb

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 01:46:51 pm »
I downloaded the videos with clip grab running on Ubuntu. They seem straight forward and not too technical.

Oztules, The videos show diodes but I will check for them anyway. Good point.

Ghurd, that looks like a plastic junction box available at major US DYI retailers. I wondered if that would work. J-boxes on flee-bay are about $10 per box. The non-acid silicon should not have the acetic acid (vinegar) smell. Correct me if I'm wrong.  :)

Birdhouse, Thanks for the heads up about ordering information. I'll ask how long it will take to get them when I call.

Wolvenar, I'll be glad to do a post. It may take a while. BTW, there is talk among the politicians to put a big tariff on solar panels coming into the US now. I think most come from China anyway.

If my fuzzy math is correct, a 4KW system with all the trimmings can pay for itself in about 10 years. I'd pay today's solar prices simply to lock the cost of my future energy bills down and get dependable power. Of course, the system will not function without at least one wind turbine online.  ;D Yes, there are worse addictions so I face it and keep building them. 

Thanks for all the comments. Keep them coming.

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 02:06:28 pm »

Try this address "http://www.sunelec.com/videobox/videoplayer.php" .....it worked for me....See ya

Wilfor03;

Thanks. That did it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 02:13:22 pm »
All I see are videos showing how to add the junction boxes, is that all that is needed? I have always been under the impression they need framework, etc.

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 02:57:19 pm »
If my fuzzy math is correct, a 4KW system with all the trimmings can pay for itself in about 10 years.

Like so many things, the equation changes for each person.

I calculated mine would probably payback in about 2.5 years, based on what I'd save by not burning propane.
Between the time I made the decision, then ordered, paid for, waited for and installed them, propane had increased in price. I think I actually reached payback after about 19 months.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 03:27:32 pm »
I am not going to try to justify the purchase with the time for payback, besides it may be impossible to do so.
With electricity now going to 18c Kwh here, and likely rising higher in the next couple years according to the electric cooperative, we figured now is the time.
Part of the payback is in the fun of the project, part is to be independent as possible.
When the costs go through the roof I can only assume the the alternative energy products will go up as well. So for us, now is the time.

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 03:59:04 pm »
With electricity now going to 18c Kwh here, and likely rising higher in the next couple years

Wow you guys sure got it cheap. I haven't paid a power bill in years.... so I just checked with a good friend who is still on the power merry-go-round....

Consumption:    28.85080 c/kWh
plus
Supply charge: 107.80440 c/day

So a "typical" place taking what, 20 kWh/day?... is up for $5.77 in power + $1.078 in "supply charge" = $6.85/day
Typical billing looks to be quarterly, so near enough to $625 per quarter.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 04:07:24 pm »
We have what is called a minimum connection fee per month. This is something like 50 a month, and then a cost *adjustment* to make the differences in thier supply cost per kwh for the month average that varies  2 to 3c /Kwh per month but is generally 8c/Kwh, not as bad as you guys sure, but I wasnt going to get into the details in the last post.

To me, since in 2006 we paid 6c Kwh .... and its not around 20...