Author Topic: Towers and silos  (Read 7811 times)

Offline DLoefffler

• No Personal Text Set by User
Towers and silos
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:13:30 am »
I have an abandoned, in good condition stave silo approximately 80 feet tall and perhaps 14-16 feet in diameter with what appears to be a very solid concrete base which probably sets on bedrock or limestone in our area. My site in SW Minnesota has no shortage of wind. Has anyone used this as a work platform with a tower in the center that allowed the raising and lowering of the turbine? I am following Chris' work, Powermax appears to have a platform, but working on 4-8 sq feet at altitude seems like more of a thrill than I am interested at this age. The mass of these geared turbines is considerable and a nice "floor" on which to assemble and maintain the machine would seem to be a good idea.

Additionally, somewhere I recall that using the silo structurally as a tower for the turbine is not a good idea.

Comments?

Dennis

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
Re: Towers and silos
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:01:55 am »
If the old unloader tripod is still on the top of the silo I suppose you could build a tower mast and a jib crane on a work platform inside the silo, and raise it to the top with a winch off the old tripod and hang it on the top of the staves.  Then throw the old tripod to the ground once you got your work platform in place.

But frankly, the amount of iron you'd have to put in the work platform, crane and tower mast would probably rival what it would take to just build a decent tilting tower.  With the tilting tower you can work on the machine on the ground.  Climbing silos is no fun either - especially if the doors are rotted out and not there anymore so you have nothing to hang on to climbing up the chute.  Using the outside ladder wouldn't be any fun either because you'd have to climb over the top of the staves all the time.

When I was a kid I used to climb up the silo, swing out on to the tripod like a monkey to get to the pigeon nests, and hanging by one arm 70 feet in the air, fill up my shirt pockets with pigeon eggs.  They made good ammo to bomb my brother with   ;D

But anymore, I think I'd prefer a decent tilting tower.
--
Chris

Offline DLoefffler

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 01:09:40 pm »
Yes, a tilt up has merit; but, farm land is do darn expensive and the corn grows well around here, the silo is on land that can't be planted and thus the forgone income from the land used for guying is a consideration. Never enough land it seems. :-[

Dennis

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:34:50 pm »
Maybe you could use the silo as an tilt up anchor / fixing point for the tilt up?

Not sure if the lateral loading ability of a stave silo is but it might work?

Might eliminate guy cables?

Just off the top of my head it makes sense. Figuring out a latch to hold it without climbing might be interesting.

Or not.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:35:19 pm »
Yes, a tilt up has merit; but, farm land is do darn expensive and the corn grows well around here, the silo is on land that can't be planted and thus the forgone income from the land used for guying is a consideration. Never enough land it seems. :-[

Them frickin' Southern Minnesota farmers keep getting more desperate all the time.  So put up a free-standing Rohn SSV.  Or find an old four post Jake tower - I know where there's at least one down there - with a 23-10 on it with the blades blown off it.  I've tried to buy it for over a year and the guy won't sell it because he thinks it's like gold.  I explained to him that he's going to have $10 Grand in that 23-10 to get it running again because the prop governor is bent, and he still thinks it's a gem.

Anyway, a free-standing takes up 10 feet square.  If 100 square feet is an issue, plant a few corn stalks in there.  Or if your FSA Conservation Plan requires a rotation, then plant 8-10 stalks of Dekalb 57-50 on 50 square feet of it, and throw some Asgrow soybeans on the other 50 square feet.

You might have to tilt the tower down to get at your 100 square feet of corn and beans with the combine, though.
--
Chris

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:52:40 pm »
Not sure if the lateral loading ability of a stave silo is but it might work?

It's probably an old 18 or 20 x 70 Madison silo.  There's not too many 80 footers in the country because guys never had a blower or a tractor with enough horsepower to blow silage 80 feet.  A good 150 horse tractor turning the sky black on a CaseIH 600 blower will fill a 70 OK, so those are more common.  But that last 10 feet is a b^tch to get to 80 feet and takes another 50 horse on the blower.

Someplace on one of our old tapes I got a movie of my 806 on the blower back when we used to fill the 20 x 70 with silage for the beefers.  That tractor only had 100 hp stock.  But I strapped a M&W 'charger on it and turned the smoke screw on the pump until it put 185 to the shaft.  Just a straight stack coming off the turbo with no muffler.  The first part of the movie shows the tractor sitting there blowing a pitch black column of smoke 60 feet in the air with the turbocharger turbine housing and bottom of the stack glowing bright red, and a garden hose tied to the front of the tractor with some twine with a spray nozzle on it spraying water thru the radiator to keep it below boiling.

The last part of the movie shows when the PTO shaft coming out of the rear of the tractor twisted right off and that 50 lb shaft going to the blower suddenly got flung about 20 yards when it hit the ground and the u-joints piled up.  I should figure out how to get that movie off that old tape and put it on YouTube because it's really cool   :)

You can hook on one of the hoops at the top with a long cable to a Cat Challenger and you can't pull one of them silos down.  But go around the bottom with a maul and bust about 15-20 staves out right near the foundation?  When you hear a rumble that sounds sort of like thunder in the distance you'd better be running for your life because you's never seen such a crash as you're about to see.

That's one of them BTDT deals.
--
Chris

Offline halfcrazy

• Central Maine
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:00:23 pm »
We gots to see that video. There is nothing like black smoke and horse power ;D

Offline Dale S

• My smoke got out again
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 05:21:31 pm »
We used to have a 60 foot tall cinder block silo here, that was back in the day when my uncle had a reproduction cannon from Dixie Gun Works, it shot 2 5/16 diameter orange juice concentrate cans full of concrete with a charge of four ounces of 4F black powder.
When it came time to knock the silo down I borrowed the cannon and made up a bunch of projectiles and bought about five pounds of powder, it turned into a real party about ten guys showed up and so did a LOT of beer.
Turned out them juice cans would go through both sides of them cinder blocks, lots of the neighbors either came over or drove past, a cop even showed up, he was pretty much at a loss, he had to get on the radio to the sheriff and explain what we were doing to find out if it was all legal.
The sheriff told him as long as they got a sufficient back stop and aint to drunk to use the thing responsibly it aint against the law to shoot a silo down with a cannon, it took about 25 rounds and four or five hours what with the festivities and all, the cop even stayed for a few rounds, finally that old silo had had enough and it was just about like one of those implosions it pretty much fell right on itself.
My uncle was an engineer for Howmet Turbine, Howmet bought a big X-Ray machine and he ran the cannon tube through it, turns out that tube had so many hollows and inclusions it was a miracle it never blew up on anybody, they filled the bore with concrete and turned it into a lawn ornament.
I aint skeerd of nuthin....WTF was that?

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:40:59 pm »
The sheriff told him as long as they got a sufficient back stop and aint to drunk to use the thing responsibly it aint against the law to shoot a silo down with a cannon

The collective wisdom here of what you have to do have a little fun just amazes me.    ;D
--
Chris

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 09:48:55 pm »
I miss the days when you could walk into any old hardware store and buy blasting powder, fuse and blasting caps.

Now those were fun toys err, great tools.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:54:19 pm »
Chris I wish we were just a little closer I would bring the laptop and tuner and get that thing digitized.. Maybe someday, you are not really THAT far away.

Id love to see that!
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline ChrisOlson

• just trying to survive
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 10:05:52 am »
I got a USB TV Tuner with my laptop when I bought it and it has inputs on it for a VCR.  I wonder if I could play that tape in a VCR and feed it to that TV tuner to capture it in the laptop?  When you said "tuner" that rang a bell because I think I got one of them.

Just not quite sure how to do it.
--
Chris

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 10:13:53 am »
That is exactly how you would do it.
Most likely the tuner came with some software that will have some sort of record feature.
need help getting that going, just send me a msg, or post it in "The Bar"
http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php/board,12.0.html
I am sure there are plenty on the forum that can help get that thing where we can all see it!
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Dale S

• My smoke got out again
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 03:10:43 pm »
I miss the days when you could walk into any old hardware store and buy blasting powder, fuse and blasting caps.

Now those were fun toys err, great tools.

Tom

Use them toys now days and you get put on the terrorist watch list, then the next thing you know you got a drone circling your house with hell fire missiles hangin under the wings. :o
I aint skeerd of nuthin....WTF was that?

Offline coldspot

• Trying to keep the magic smoke inside of stuff !!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 12:12:27 pm »
Chris-
"gots to see that video"
How ?
 "video capture"
Proper term I think.,.,?
Sounds like you have the parts and maybe enough will to-
"Just Do It"
Nothing better than a fun vid on a snow day!
:)
$0.02