Author Topic: PV Panels. recommendations?  (Read 8575 times)

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
Re: PV Panels. recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 02:18:42 pm »
"If you dig deep enough, you'll find the vast majority of stuff has a non-trivial chinese content."

Your so right. Neighbour bought a Husqvana ride on 48" mower.... didn't want that chinese junk.....

Well 2 days later, he busted the alloy mandrel housing, so it ended up here...... and you guessed it, even the bearings are chinese.... he wasn't happy.

By the way, there was nothing wrong with the manufacturing.... this guy is just brutal on machines.

........oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Rover

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 02:35:24 pm »
Hope so I have a new Husqvana  chain saw that I really like.

Rover
Rover

(Where did I bury that microcontroller?)

Offline RichHagen

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 08:58:54 pm »
Reminds me of some smaller panels I bought from a company in California.  Their stickers were on the back over the Chinese manufacturers sticker.  Probably didn't want their customers seeing their source.  Their sticker did indicate it was from China still though. 
A Joule saved is a Joule made

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 01:47:38 am »
I guess I don't care from where it originates if its got a good rep. I have bought things from all over the world, some USA built stuff recently is still crap. some Chinese stuff amazes me. So far the Germans have been consistently impressive on the items I have gotten from there.. any which way. if it works, and is a good deal for today's prices, I might choose american where I can and where it fits. If it comes down to paying to much though for a re branded item, forget it. I am sure mant here think the same ,so probably preaching to the choir.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 04:28:35 pm »
Update on my quest for solar.

Today it I got a call back from an installer/distibuter about a half hour drive from me.
These panels have an interesting twist that they are made locally in Minnesota.
From some information I have gotten about the local installs, it seems that they perform well.
At the moment I am waiting for a quote on cost, I'm guessing it wont be  under the golden $1 per watt everyone likes to pay, but I am willing to pay a *little* extra if buying local.

Something about being able to go pick these things up myself just sits better with me.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline striider

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 08:08:11 am »
I am going on 3 happy years with (2) 195 watt Evergreens (Sun brand) from sunelec.com.  They look brand new and put out just as much power as they did when new as far as I can tell.  I think my recent record is around 185 AH a day through an Outback MX60 if I use enough power to require it.  That is a stationary mount on the roof of my A frame facing south in central Colorado.