Author Topic: Strangeness on inverter output  (Read 1752 times)

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
Strangeness on inverter output
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:53:17 pm »
Ok i have a funny one to put to the pros on here... i purchased a 2kw (4kw surge) HF 48v inverter a while ago ( before i understood more) and it actually works quite well... now it will be intended for my pool pump (900watt, plus 250 watt ish for salt clorinator etc.) Which is well within its budget...

Now heres the funny bit, it will run the pool pump and controller , however the controller does some weird things. turns itself onto winter mode, then idle, then back to full blast etc.. i have used all manner of inductors and caps and filters of every sort inbetween to try and stop it... the pump just chugs along without hesitation.  I have had it on the oscilloscope and abit my limited bandwidth i cant see anything...  on the main inverter (ozinverter) no issues at all...

There is no voltage dip that i can see ... its got me stumped. ..  probably something really simple and its not overly critical, i would just like to put this investment to use, and take some load off of the main inverter before summer hit (we have pretty brutal summers up here)..

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: Strangeness on inverter output
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:13:34 am »
Is this failing on a MSW inverter? I see you mention the ozinverter, but is this the one its failing on?
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:47:34 am »
Hello Noneya , not sure about the output of your inverter but a lot of those HF inverters actually lift the battery up to half line voltage. I have come across some that cause people to get shocks when testing the battery with a hydrometer. Maybe the newer ones are better maybe not. I tested a couple and by putting a multimeter probe to earth ( stuck in the ground) and the other probe to the negative or positive on the battery there was 120 volts there. ( in Australia).
So maybe there is some hash coming back through the inverter that is causing the pump controller to act strangely.
My solution in the past was to Earth the battery negative. That at least prevented people getting zapped using a hydrometer when testing the batteries.
Pete

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:07 am »
Thanks pete, makes sense... ill try grounding the negative as u say... and madness this is a " pure sine wave " inverter. .. its basically a tl494 push pull converter (to 340 + odd volts) and a eg8010 on output through 4 igbts...

Thanks for ideas, ill have a go tomorrow hopefully. .