Author Topic: Blades stalling  (Read 14319 times)

Offline niall

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: Blades stalling
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2017, 05:24:41 pm »
solar seems cheap now ....for sure...and i,m not up on economics , but china did seem to flood the market ..neo magnets or silicon ....they took their ball and went away with it ....neo mags got really crazy expensive  ... the big windmill manufacturers wanted them

the small windmill aspect is  ( and its own mother couldnt love it  ) is that the local machine shop guy mike will take care of most your worries .....

i cant get solar panels in the dump.....the guts of a windmill ..well ...erm....ish...very 

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2017, 05:38:29 pm »
It really is horses for courses.

I know guys who have good, constant, almost always laminar wind, that blows day in and day out with only a few days a year of calm. That's a perfect wind turbine site!

I know of guys who live beside a mountain and have vast quantities of water flowing past them with hundreds or thousands of feet of head. That's a perfect hydro site!

Some of us are stuck with living on the top of a hill with no flowing water, the only wind we get is intermittent, infrequent and then generally destructive... but with lots and lots of sunshine. I've got a wind turbine, and it produces a bit now and then. My inverter statistics speaks far better however:
Last 365 days production. Solar: 5482 kWh   Wind: 59kWh

Not sure about you, but 150 Wh/day isn't going to even cover the inverters idle power!

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2017, 07:18:26 pm »
Where I live is close to the coast, SE is my prevailing wind.  Summer months the wind doesn't blow hard but the sun shines. Winter months the sun doesn't shine much but the wind blows. Spring is good sun and good wind.
Fall is decent wind and solar. 
It makes sense to utilize both resources. 

Offline niall

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2017, 07:57:52 pm »
same here...close to the Atlantic weather fronts ....its a kind of melancholy.... an addiction in a way

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2017, 06:56:39 am »
I believe I'm addicted too ;D

Offline niall

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2017, 06:05:30 pm »
Hughs latest books have some ferrite mags in the axial designs .....i think Proven downwind mills use them too

if your going to build an axial ..........it might be worth thinking about .....ish

i,m convinced i can corrode a Neodymium magnet .....by just looking at it

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2017, 04:41:18 am »
I would use the ferrite over the neo just for the price.  Downwind design, no tail lol

Offline niall

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2017, 07:07:27 pm »
not much help .....but theres a ferrite axial in the vid

the ferrites are very fairly big .....neos are small .....ferrites dont rust though

just a small amount of flux ... :(

Offline TurboMiles

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2017, 02:28:49 pm »
I would like to build it using ferrite even though they aren't the strongest.  They can still be an effective turbine, Chris Olson has made many using them and are making 2kw.  I don't know all the details though.  I would also like to build the coils that will allow 110v at 450 rpm and use a classic to charge some teslas

Offline niall

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2017, 04:18:47 pm »
yes .. go at it again

stuff rarely goes right first time ...

in the interesting times we live in maybe having your own power  is good ..........but i,m not sure what that means  :)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2017, 07:38:01 pm »
in the interesting times we live in maybe having your own power  is good

In our part of the world, we've had a bit of a heat-wave. One state "ran out of power" yesterday and they had to urgently load-shed 100MW - so they had rolling blackouts in South Australia.

Where I am we only got to a little over 43 deg C (was still 33C at midnight and only got down to 29C overnight). We're expecting more of the same again today. (Already over 40C at midday) and the pundits are warning of more power cuts in south australia and likely in other states.

Days like this I'm glad to be 100% offgrid. :)

Offline niall

« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2017, 05:51:42 pm »
Days like this I'm glad to be 100% offgrid. :)

honestly ...i would,nt know Ross ....but i see the appeal.....on Hughs last course here all the tools were run of gens .....there was basically  no grid on site ...nor would there be thereafter 

being off grid ( for me .....sadly just for a week ) made me unhinged a bit .....but it does make you think

in a good way  :)

( looks nervously at solar panels and needs a shower )

any new plans Turbomiles ?

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2017, 07:11:38 am »
Long ago now, so long it feels like another lifetime or something, I built a ferrite mag alternator that worked quite well for its parts and my lack of knowledge.
I used nothing more than "upcycled" ceramic magnetron magnets on a large disk. I could get about 750 watts from it, and it was FAR from a well designed alternator.
Most of its limitation I believe  came about from the undersized wire used in the windings, and not matching the load well, yet having more than enough blade. All turned to heat in the windings, which was it's fate. It didnt last more than a few weeks I believe.
It burned up when the batteries were low, and the wind was not. 

This was just the initial setup to see what I could make of them.
I eventually had a flywheel on the back of this to make it sturdier.
That disk was 20" which likely helped it a lot.
Seems I cannot locate, or didn't upload any more of the pics from the project.
But yeah it most certainly can be done well with ceramics if you compensate for the lesser powered magnets.

*edit*
Going by the picture date, that was 2004.
Ouch, that's one way to make a guy feel old..
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2017, 09:17:30 pm »
speaking of old.....can't understand why I feel that way I'm only 85.....
oh by the way did you ever hook up those plastic blades you had a long time ago ?
I have plastic blades that tomw gave me gonna hook them up to 100 NiCads ....
thats about 10 amp/hrs, 12 volts
Norm

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2017, 02:46:28 am »
Wolvenar, just wondering what the output waveform from the home made generators looks like. I have one sitting in my shed that a friend left here. Long story but some lunatic did a solar/wind system for them and charged a fortune for a crap setup. Unfortunately his workmanship was such that everything he did had to be done again properly. The generator he made them was like the one in your picture but he epoxied over the coils and magnets. Did a crap job of that too and the discs are not flat, there is a big air gap. Basically I have parked it as it is not work working on.
Just wondering what the output wave looks like, and how efficient they are compared to a standard generator configuration.