Author Topic: Long time coming  (Read 7390 times)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Re: Long time coming
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 11:02:01 pm »
Not if I do a decent length run.  I had the exhaust off of today, and no signs of rust, but logic tells me
that there  will have to some condensation if the exhaust doesn't get hot enough.
Thanks Woof.  Always appreciate any heads up.

When I built my genset (it runs on propane), I added a heat exchanger to the exhaust, since I use the genset as a cogen (heat + electricity). An industrial "tube in tube" style heat exchanger, I milled the end caps out to make them plenums, run water through the outer jacket and the exhaust through the inner tubes.

Inside of the exchanger

"Discharge" plenum cap of the heat exchanger, showing two pipes merging to one, through a flexible coupling.

Which then goes through an extra muffler (not really required, the heat exchanger takes out most of it)

You can just see at the left of picture, there's a threaded hole into the plenum cap (this sits at the lowest part of the cap), and I've screwed a brass barb into it and run a length of hose in an 'S' - to make a water trap. No exhaust escapes, but condensate runs out freely.

(Yes, because it runs on propane, and because the exhaust is cooled to about 40 deg C, I always get condensate)

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 05:28:04 am »
Always liked your setup, and to that end, there is a greenhouse planned next to the
generator room.  (8' x 30') I sort of have planned to augment heating of this with the
getset.  I can use both radiator, and exhaust to do this.
Waste not, want not, right?
Thanks Ross
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline hiker1

• hiker
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 11:50:29 am »
Looks great....toss a small drain valve on the lower elbow..
just do it

Offline bj

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 06:03:08 pm »
Elegant, but simple solution.  I have some 2 stroke compression relief valves that should be perfect.
It will happen.
Thanks Hiker
bj

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 03:27:25 pm »
Have you thought about fumes blowing back inside shed/shop? Maybe elbow up above the eve and put the same cover tractors use? Under the eve wind can cause fumes to build up and find their way inside. When I install gas heat, code requires the exhaust to be above the roof ridge line. Just looking out for safety sake

Looks great though, nice work!
SN

Any day above ground is a day for potential mishaps

Offline bj

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 06:41:31 am »
   I gave that some thought on construction of the room.  The entire room is 6 mil wrapped, and sealed.
   But a run a couple of days ago showed that when the wind is just right, I get some slight smell coming
in from the radiator.  I takes air from the outside for cooling.  I may just reverse the cooling air flow, but
still pondering that one.
   Thanks for the caution though.
bj

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 01:43:19 pm »
I get some slight smell coming
in from the radiator.  I takes air from the outside for cooling.  I may just reverse the cooling air flow, but
still pondering that one.

Would it be practical to extend the hoses and put the radiator outside entirely? Then you could seal around the hoses and cables. Even if you reverse the airflow, the air has to come from "somewhere"... and it'll draw from wherever it can, even less control of where. It'll pull doors open if they're not properly shut. I've seen a decent fan actually pop window glass out of the frame!

Offline bj

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 06:45:21 am »
  I've been messing around with it, and couldn't duplicate the smell condition, but wind direction had
changed.  When I wired the room, I included a circuit for separate wired in ionized gas detection, and
carbon monoxide detectors, and am leaning toward just going with that.
  You are right about air having to go/come from somewhere.  I makes a great door closer right now.
  Eventual plan for this room is a greenhouse off the side of it, and that is where the warm air will
exit to, so right now, with no place to go is worst case scenario.  (I think)
  How often I have to run it is up in the air as well.  Last week we had four power  outages in one
day, (4 hours total) but it had been 3 weeks since the last one.  Not really an issue, unless it happens
to be -30C, which it wasn't.
  Thanks for your thoughts though Ross.   (as always)
bj

Offline bj

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 08:16:25 am »
   Been busy with other stuff, but finally some progress.
   Built dash, installed the digital tach I wanted, installed the rad fan controller, and got
a 25 gal fuel tank built for the purpose.  (no more coffee can)
  Air filter built, works great.
   But, as always, a small problem.  Had a low grade thump at low rpm.  So I removed the
generator head, and soloed the motor.  Noise gone.  Took apart the generator, looking for
rub marks on the rotor and fields.  Nada.  Made a centering point, installed it in the end of
the crankshaft and re-installed the head.  Dial indicator says I am within half a thou of concentric.
   Noise is still there.  (I like to say it is less though)  It either goes away or gets much less above
1400 rpm.
   Any ideas?
bj

Offline hiker1

• hiker
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 10:36:00 am »
Out of balence on the genset.? main bearing may be going...but only makes noise under load.?
just do it

Offline bj

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 06:38:57 am »
  Have only had small loads  (3kw) on it, but load makes it quieter.  Seems to be from the generator
head, not the motor.

I checked the back bearing on the generator when I had it apart, and it was smooth turning with
no roughness at all.

Out of balance on the generator---Starting to think that may be it.  I am going to pull the rotor
out and put it between two centers on a friends lath to check for runout on the rotor itself, as I know
the shaft is good.  Depending on what I find, then send out for balancing.

Really more of an annoyance than anything, as it functions fine, but I don't like unexplained noises.
  Thanks Hiker
bj

Offline welshman

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 06:34:37 am »
since the topic generators at the moment, have any of you had much experience silencing a generator with a water barrel?

Offline hiker1

• hiker
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 10:36:00 pm »
Would it sound like a outboard motor..?
just do it

Offline frackers

• If it moves - computerise it!
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 04:48:42 am »
Would it sound like a outboard motor..?
Nah - it would sound like an ogle-ogle box