Author Topic: Inverter V2.0  (Read 3208 times)

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
Inverter V2.0
« on: October 16, 2020, 04:24:28 am »
So after 18 months of flawlessly running my house,  My homemade transformer shorted on one of the 240v windings, was dubious of the wire i used originally,  so got more out of it than I expected. So back to drawing board. Had a 10kw transformer Wound by DYNE in Melbourne 4 years ago for a PJ that my brother in law has since replaced with a " smarter " selectronic  inverter. The voltages are a bit high for the eg8010 ( 32 vs 28 ) so i reduced the voltage to 225v out, to compensate hopefully ( we will wait and see). Spent a good three days putting it together and ive got to say pretty happy so far... its only early days but.. wife cooked dinner pulling 4kw for about half an hour or so and the fan didn't even ramp up at all ( set to start ramping at 40°c, sat at max 39 for the whole time ).

Here's some pics if anyone interested...

Offline welshman

Re: Inverter V2.0
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 02:51:45 pm »
what are the specs of the transformer to get 10kw?

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 04:26:12 pm »
What do you mean?? Weight is about 90-100kg, duel " C " core, 32v to 240v... is that what you are asking??

Offline welshman

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 04:52:31 pm »
What do you mean?? Weight is about 90-100kg, duel " C " core, 32v to 240v... is that what you are asking??

yes, that is what i was asking. do you know what it consumes when idle? i'm seeing a hefty 300w idle on a 5kw ish EI sandwich weighing 46kg, just trying to gauge the differences.

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 07:43:39 pm »
didn't really check... but did bench test it with boost converter, pulled about an amp and a half.. but that includes boost converter losses (24v to 48v) and arduino / fan controller at idle...

Offline dochubert

• 11 powerjacks, 9 that run, 3 actually used daily
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 02:34:19 pm »
Just wondering how your inverter is doing since your last post (4 months or so?).  I have an inverter mainboard like yours that I had connected to some powerjack toroid transformers.  It did good until the load got above 3k, then voltage output got somewhat unstable.  Shelved that mainboard for the time being.  Back to running the house on a powerjack 15kw.

Curious about your setup as I was considering using that 8010 mainboard with an industrial 5kva 32/240v transformer I got awhile back.  I expect some significant idle losses as Welshman noted with non-toroid transformers.  If its loaded 24/7 guess idle losses wouldn't matter much, but there's always the in-line choke option for reducing the idle losses.

Anyway, how is your setup performing?  If it's running cool under load that's usually a good sign....
We're all going to DIE!  (eventually)

USA = Communist former republic
---  dochubert --

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 04:29:05 am »
Evening Dochubert, hasn't missed a beat.. the only time its " cut out " was when the misses had big aircon going, then decided to turn oven on, while the microwave was humming along, oh all while usual parasitic loads like pool pump etc on... bout 9.5kw which was too much for the 2 63 amp breakers on input.. give em credit they allowed close to 200 amp for about a minute... then " clunck " ... had to let them cool before they would even let it idle  :o  ;D  ;D ...

Heck even had 2 accidental short circuits( tripped breakers).. still no dead mosfets yet... bloody love it so far...

Offline dochubert

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 11:10:05 am »
That's great!
I wonder why mine had a voltage control problem above 3kw?  I was thinking of changing out the egs card before using it again.  What do you think?

---  dochubert --

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 02:08:13 pm »
I'm not sure sorry, whats the capacity and voltage of transformer?? I do know OZ discovered the eg8010 doesn't have as good dynamic range as the cpu in the PJs, you may be hitting  its limit.. but just a guess.... what is it exactly doing past 3kw ??

Offline dochubert

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 06:24:54 pm »
It was connected to powerjack transformers from a 15kw pj inverter. 32/230v.  So realistically, about 6kw worth of transformer.  What happened was it suddenly had a high voltage spike that blew out some led bulbs in the house and fried a surge protector and a ups.  No other reason to point to except that the total load was higher than it had been since I started using that inverter setup (around 3300w when it happened I'm guessing).  I had been using it to run half the house for about a week.  Load under 2500w.  No problems.  Put the other half of the house on it also and the second day of that is when it did what it did.  Didn't blow fets or anything.  In fact it was still running the house when I switched it off. 
Your mainboard appears to be the same one I have, rated for 10kw.  I knew with those transformers I couldn't go above about 4kw continuous and maybe a little more for short periods.  Figured I would be alright up to 4kw.  Wrong again!

Anyway, I realize you have a bigger trans but I wasn't exceeding the ratings of mine.  Thought changing the egs card on mine might solve the problem,  Maybe I got a weak one,

---  dochubert --

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 04:10:06 am »
If anything to do with dynamic range etc. it would be completely opposite,  the voltage would droop not increase, ignore last... sounds like it got a feedback " issue " and maxed out pwm momentarily,  which would cause the voltage to spike ... check the egs001 card " firmness " in its socket, it may have " lost " or had disrupted  its feedback loop causing the above... also check for dry joints, feedback transformer connections etc. I originally had sockets but felt too loose so i soldered the connections on..

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 04:10:46 am »
All a guess by the way... just where i would start looking