Author Topic: Raspberry Pi controller for my PowerJack solar energy project  (Read 3004 times)

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
Hey All!

Just got finished building my prototype PJ temperature controller using a Rasberry Pi micro-controller connected to 6 1-wire temp sensors. 4 sensors are for the PJ Fan control and 2 are for cooling Fans on the windmill dumpload Heatsinks.

Don't know if I've got the PJ sensors right but as follows:

1. Toroid coil
2. LF Heatsink
3. Heatsink 1
4. Heatsink 2
These all turn on the same fan in the PJ

Then:

5. Windmill Dump Fans 1
6. Windmill Dump Fans 2
These are Fans on the Dump load heatsinks.

I am using an iOS app called Cayenne which takes the programming to a level much easier for those who may not want to code or which in my case "coding for dummies" just didn't work lol.

The Rasberry Pi will be installed on a din rail adapter allowing hard wire inputs and outputs, they're real proud of that thing at $35.

With the Cayenne app you can find your Rasberry Pi on your network, load libraries automatically and monitor and control your project from anywhere in the world. When schedule events or triggers occur it can text or email you.

Ideas? Corrections?  I'm open

SN

SN

Any day above ground is a day for potential mishaps

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
Re: Raspberry Pi controller for my PowerJack solar energy project
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:18:50 pm »
Updated pics. Install Rpi on din rail adapter and then straightened up wiring. Installed CPU fan and cover.

Really nice when you can wire all temp sensors to one power source and single data line. These are waterproof stainless ds18b20 sensors each having unique serial numbers and are user programmable if your smart like that.

SN
SN

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 08:09:12 pm »
Here's a pic showing addition of 12" touchscreen for local control
SN

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 10:06:21 am »
Looks like a fun project.
I am hooked on the rasp pi. They are so adaptable it is nuts.
I have built dozens of devices now with them, most have been claimed by friends and family.
I have several in use around here, and keep a few spares just in case one fails or a new idea/need arises.
I have never had one fail yet however, I had one couple nights ago, but with a hot air rework station and minor tinkering it's live too. Turned out a couple smd resistors partly dislodged from the board due to to little solder.

Are you going to have any voltage and current monitoring?
You could be able to track everything from input/output loads, batt states, calculate efficiency of the batteries etc.
Even could monitor the inverter efficiency, changes might mean pending troubles.
I would be a waste if you don't since you have the pi there already, and should have plenty of expandability and cpu cycles left.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 10:38:59 am »
Hey!

Have you checked out Cayenne for iOS and android? The app finds any Rpi on your network and allows users like me to build projects. The developers are always implementing user ideas and suggestions and have project competition.

I do want to monitor by system voltage etc but Cayenne doesn't have a scale setting for the widget. like 0-26v thru voltage divider = 0-5v but the widget will only display 0-5v. Maybe that will change someday.

My Rpi has a power problem I think it's the USB connector because if you wiggle the connection it reboots. Also sometime it refuses to reboot unless I disconnect the hdmi cable.

Still working on a voltage divider.using an app called electronic toolbox pro. It has a wealth of uses from winding Toroid coils to resister colors, zeners, fets, etc. input your needs and it calculates for you.
SN

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 04:53:45 pm »
Hey Everybody,

Looking for advice on what temperatures to set my triggers on my PJ inverter to activate the pj cooling fan. As stated above I am monitoring 4 temps since I don't trust PJ running the cooling since the inverter will be in a tropical zone 30-34c consistently unless I install a mini-split hvac in that room. Either way I want control over cooling, the inverter really will only be in control as redundancy.

Thanks
SN