Author Topic: Pcb creation  (Read 2653 times)

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
Pcb creation
« on: September 09, 2016, 05:44:51 pm »
Mods please move this if it is in the wrong section...

Hey oz, i was wondering if you could run me though how you make DIY pcbs?? Ive read somewhere how u did/do it but for the life of me i cant find it again... thx in advance for helping once again this monkey...

I have tried the "toner transfer " , with the iron etc. And quite frankly i suck....

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
Re: Pcb creation
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 01:07:04 am »
I used to use transparency and the kinsten board. This makes perfect boards... but getting a laser to print on transparency now days seems impossible to achieve with cheap lasers.....

So now use ink jet onto standard A4 paper, then light oil ( olive oil etc) which makes the paper transparent to uv, then expose to 20-30  mins of 15w desk flouro about 3cm away

The develop in NaOH   about 5g/liter warm.

then I use copper sulphate and HCl as etchant.... ferric chloride is fine, but not available here easily on an island. Farmers use Cu SO4 and HCl in farming... so by the 25kg sack and 25l drum..

So Ideally, transparency and kinsten or A4paper and oil and kinsten for tracks.

Sodium Hydroxide (I have used washing powder too when desperate) to develop the pattern

Ferric chloride or nitric acid,, or  hydrochloric and peroxide or hydrochloric acid and copper sulphate for etching.

If you can't get kinsten there are films you can get to heat adhere to the bare copper,(   http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15cmx2M-30cmx1M-PCB-Photosensitive-Dry-Film-For-Circuit-Production-Photoresist-/191811512786?var=&hash=item2ca8db69d2:m:mjCvSlyr8eesVSev8xw2Nkg  )  and expose the same as the kinsten, but use negative pattern not positive.

It really does work well. Folks use a laminator, but I find excellent results if you use a heat gun, and heat the board from behind, and then press the film on with a rag, rather than a laminator.

It is thicker than kinsten, and needs sodium carbonate to develop ( or NaOH). It's definition is ample for most things, but not terribly fine stuff if using paper rather than transparency.... with transparency and a good printer, very fine work can be achieved. A4 paper and negative, seems to be less fine than positive artwork.

..............oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
Re: Pcb creation
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 10:27:38 pm »
Your a legend as always. . Thank you sooo much... going to try all of the above. .. :D