Author Topic: Heavily modified Power Jack  (Read 5201 times)

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
Re: Heavily modified Power Jack
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 03:54:29 pm »
Morning,  your missing this library. .

http://www.opensourceautomation.com/wiki/index.php?title=Example_Project_Using_OSA_With_Arduino

Delete or comment out the line converting celcius to Fahrenheit. .

If u get stuck just let me know, im not an expert but ill try and help as best i can..

I used a thermistor as i have a gazillion of them and they are common..

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 04:03:47 pm »
Heres a pic on how i installed thermistors... piece of copper folded with thermal paste inside, put a .1 uf cap across it, helps stabilize readings.. according to all the temp gauges ive used its within about a degree which is fine for this application. .

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 11:59:19 pm »
Hi Noneeyabusiness, just wondering why  you have gone to so much trouble with an arduino based fan controller. I recently purchased some thermostat controllers from Ebay, that only cost around $4 each. Seems to me that you may be over complicating things.
Maybe the mosfets blowing up has to do with the amount of stored energy in the transformer core. We used to do high voltage tests on windings of motors and we had to be careful to discharge them before working on them. They stored a great big whack of energy after having a 2500 volt megger connected to them.
anyway seems like you have that part sorted.
There are heaps of temperature controllers on Ebay ranging from a couple of dollars up
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-110-C-Heat-Cool-Temp-Thermostat-Temperature-Control-Switch-Controller-/182082927088?hash=item2a64fcf9f0:g:GwkAAOSwjwlXBN-I

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 01:05:17 am »
the main problem with the cheap ones is that they are either on or off, so the temp gets pretty high then the fan kicks on and bang it's cold and the cycle repeats. with a setup like this the fans can slowly increase in speed to hold the temperature stable at a lower point. the units then usually run much cooler and quieter overall.

i hope that makes sense Pete,
I lack the programming skills to do this setup but i am using oz's setup similar outcome but hardware based with 2 pots.

Cheers,
           Zogg
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 05:46:49 am »
And for 2 odd bucks and a bit of time its really worth it for a VERY stable temp... you will need ether a mosfet driver or logic level mosfets (5v logic).. and everything else ive got in my parts bin... (driver and mosfets too but I thought i would add that)..

With the bootloader  10pcs/lot ATMEGA328P Pro Mini 328 Mini ATMEGA328 5V 16MHz for Arduino 5V 16M
 http://s.aliexpress.com/UzE3QZn6
(from AliExpress Android)

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 05:49:21 am »
And solar newbie, How did you go with code??

Offline solarnewbee

• Cayenne Dashboard
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 07:44:08 pm »
Hey noneya

not working for me at the moment but I will get there I'm sure. Trying out the thermistorfun sketch it wont find thermistorFun.h

Arduino: 1.6.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Unable to find C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\ThermistorFun\ThermistorFun.ino in C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\ThermistorFun

Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Pancho\Documents\Arduino\libraries\sketch_jul29a_fan_control_works2_oldpwm: C:\Users\Pancho\Documents\Arduino\libraries\sketch_jul29a_fan_control_works2_oldpwm
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Pancho\Documents\Arduino\libraries\thermistorfun: C:\Users\Pancho\Documents\Arduino\libraries\thermistorfun
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Pancho\Documents\Arduino\libraries\sketch_jul29a_fan_control_works2_oldpwm: C:\Users\Pancho\Documents\Arduino\libraries\sketch_jul29a_fan_control_works2_oldpwm
Invalid library found in C:\Users\Pancho\Documents\Arduino\libraries\thermistorfun: C:\Users\Pancho\Documents\Arduino\libraries\thermistorfun

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I unisntalled the program and re-installed attempting to set the libraries straight but stil....
SN

Any day above ground is a day for potential mishaps

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 02:35:38 am »
Ill fix it up so its just a zip download when i get home if u want..

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 07:17:29 am »
here is library zip for you solarnewbee, in arduino IDE just click on "sketch" on menu bar, navigate to "include library" , then "add zip library', click on previously downloaded zip library...