Author Topic: New project to copy broken Powerhouse electric fence energiser  (Read 5634 times)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Re: New project to copy broken Powerhouse electric fence energiser
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 05:37:45 am »
I also do not know what voltage they fire at, but hope to work this out in the next day or so. Likewise, I shall play around with different resistor values.

Do you have, or have access to a CRO?  Putting the probe across the neon, setting trigger to rising edge and around 30V or so, you should get a pretty good view of where it fires.

how can I go one step further to DC pulse charge a capacitor and fire a Xenon tube?

Put the xenon tube across the main charge capacitor.
Replace the main transformer with a trigger transformer and hook its output to the xenon tubes trigger wire.

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 06:10:15 am »
hmmm xenon tube... well if you just want to make lots of fast light, then put a HID globe straight across the fencer  output... that should give off an appreciable amount of light... yes it will take the 5000v easily.

The car ones have as high as 25000v start up... so they can take a belting really. It takes this kind of voltage to restart them hot....much much lower voltage required cold.

..............oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline David HK

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 08:17:33 pm »
Who would believe it?

I followed the circuit shown in the URL below and purchased a few old camera slave flash units.

Extracted the required parts from the flash unit and wired it up.

The power supply comes straight off the HT coil which belongs to a machine made up from Oztules circuits a few years ago. I am not sure if the HT transformer is out outing full power and suspect a short somewhere inside. Never mind, I have a few new coil units that just require the secondary winding and I should be back in business.

So there we are, something that tells me that the electric fence is working. Wonderful, its made my day!

Any comments will be read with interest.

Dave

Offline David HK

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 06:21:15 am »
Oztules,

Just a thought. Those torroid coil things you've been winding, how would they suit an electric fence machine?

Dave