Author Topic: possible use for my spare generators  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Dr_Zogg

possible use for my spare generators
« on: March 28, 2016, 01:17:23 am »
question for you guys.
I have a few spare generators. the main ones being an 1800w Chinese unit
and the other being a 6kva Italian made unit. the question is, would it be possible to drop the rpm
and get the unit down to 80-100v then build a heavy duty rectifier and hook it up to a mppt charge controller
to use as a backup charger for my 48v battery bank?

thoughts/ideas? or maybe i'm just being silly?

Cheers.
           Sam
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
Re: possible use for my spare generators
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 02:26:55 am »
.. not what I'd do.

The generators are either voltage controlled with brushes, or cap excited without.... neither will be happy at lower rpm... best to get the motor to drive a car genny through your own voltage regulator.

..........oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 03:00:56 am »
I have already built a unit that is a Honda 6.5hp engine with a ford bf 140a alternator on it. I have removed the internal reg and diodes, fitted my own reg that is set at 60v and have mounted the diodes externally the plan is to feed that into a charge controller and let that take care of the charging regime. I will put up some pics over the next few days.

the generator idea was just a thought I had to use something that was laying around. I just saw them in the shed today and noticed that the alternator was about 6 times the size of the car one haha..

Cheers,
           Sam

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 02:39:09 am »
Hi Dr Zogg, another way is to make a large battery charger. You could get hold of a transformer such as an old welder transformer add a rectifier and presto, monster charger. That way you don't have to change the speed of your generators. Like Oz says most generators have inbuilt regulators, or just have a simple setup with a couple of diodes on the rotor and a capacitor across the exciter windings on the stator. Lowering the voltage by lowering the speed would also be a problem as far as cooling goes. The windings say on a 6kva generator would only be good for  20 amps or so max.
I have used large 50 volt 50 amp transformers in the past to make battery chargers, then used a 2kw light dimmer to control the primary voltage to set the output current. Of course you need to keep an eye on the batteries. I see it as better than running the system through a regulator really as one the regulator cuts in you end up with an engine chewing petrol up for nothing. Unless of course you have the regulator set up to turn the motor off when it reaches float voltage.
I also have a 5 hp Chonda motor with an 80 amp alternator ( my system is 12 volt) and that works great, I just put a rheostat from the output to the field connection to control the output current. Simple and effective.  I think I bought a couple of 50 ohm 50 watt rheostats from Hong Kong, they were really cheap and work great.
Good luck
Pete

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 03:44:57 am »
Dr Zogg, I assume the ford 140alt is 12v nominal?

If using for 48v, then don't forget to put something there to limit rotor current to about 5amps, or it will cook it.
It is no problem getting the 60 volts or more out of the 12v stator,( cut in may be around 3000-4000rpm??wild guess) but the rotor will not stomach 60v very well at all, and will probably start to o/heat  at maybe 20v. ..5  amps will give you enough amp turns to run the thing fully.. and  safely I expect.

When testing 12v units on my milling machine, usually start to produce usefully at 1000rpm or thereabouts.

..............oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 02:15:44 am »
the regulator that i have made for the alternator uses the 12v battery from the honda engine to excite the rotor but samples the output for the 60v. i hope that makes sense.

this is the one i am using
http://chemelec.com/Projects/Alternator/Reg-SCH-P-Mosfet.png

Cheers,
           Zogg

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 08:08:36 am »
regarding the generators i found a good use for them. believe it or not they work great as generators to run electrical appliances hahahaha ;D
so i sold them and used the money to buy some more tooling for my lathe and mill. mmmm i love new tools

Cheers,
            Zogg

Offline Pete

• Mount Barrow Tasmania
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 04:00:56 am »
Ah Dr Zogg, isn't it amazing what a bit of lateral thinking does. Well done. Good swap, new tools are fun aren't they.