Author Topic: testing the egs002 inverter board  (Read 147642 times)

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
Re: testing the egs002 inverter board
« Reply #405 on: November 04, 2016, 06:58:13 am »
Okay ... play file no. 1 ... had no end of dramas on figuring out why the simple commands wouldnt work... turns out you MUST have pin 6 (on/off) low for it to communicate ::) . There's two days there... anyhoo here is rough draft 1 if anybody interested. ..you can edit the "settings" by changing the relevant bit and i still haven't figured out why the serial monitor isnt sprewing the confirmation "byte"...

Offline Madness

« Reply #406 on: November 05, 2016, 06:22:42 am »
These things can eat up some time, thanks for that, will be a little while before I find time to play with it.

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #407 on: November 30, 2016, 08:36:30 pm »
Okay play no.2...

Hey Oz, i think i discovered something of a "quiggle", i was having some feed back issues due to messy bench wiring(kept blinking "overcurrent" even though pin was grounded) so i attached the little lcd that comes with the egs002 board to give me feedback on what the chip was "seeing" (mind u it turned out to be overtemp, go figure) however with a 72 watt test bulb i fixed aforementioned problem but noticed that every time i would "lower" the output voltage slightly it would drift back up to 240 (instead of about 235)... what i noticed is that if the SCREEN said less than "220v" it would slowly drift up until it matched at least 220v and a few times a volt ish over and come back... big jumps it doesn't do it but i remeber u writing somewhere about the voltage changing at first startup, maybe this might have something to do with that, or im just seeing things and going crazy :o

And the software on/off seems VERY stable,  im not picking up any trailing pulses on scope...

Also i have not been able to catch the "confirmation byte" returned to the arduino successfully... i think it is a timing issue cause it is intermittent , ill keep at it...

Offline noneyabussiness

• I think it works....
« Reply #408 on: December 01, 2016, 04:51:38 am »
sorry not sure what happend to last file :o

Offline frackers

• If it moves - computerise it!
« Reply #409 on: January 08, 2017, 04:13:01 am »
Does anyone have a schematic (not a board layout) for a bare bones EG8010 board that uses the IR2110S driver chips? One that avoids all the hassles with blowing FETs with the EGS002 board?

Just been tidying up the workshop and found a load of gear I got months ago to build a prototype inverter using a 30VA transformer (safety first!!), the idea being to trial it with EGS002, EG8010, Atmel AVR, STM32F1 and STM32F3.

Cheers

Robin Down Under (or are you Up Over!)

Offline jexhed

« Reply #410 on: January 14, 2017, 01:04:16 am »
I'm going to start a new build and add all the bits and pieces that everybody wants. Then I'll get a few assembled with the exception of the Mosfets and caps so people don't have to solder the SMT stuff. Then you can add whatever voltage mosfets and caps you need for your application.

Great work Antman / Oztules, any idea when these will be available ?

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #411 on: January 14, 2017, 04:50:03 am »
I don't make and sell anything, so it is not me. Perhaps send antman a PM.

Frackers, the 002 is fine if you don't use the current shut down.
On the backshed, a post by tinker has a diagram he has made up.

........oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline 144VDC

« Reply #412 on: January 14, 2017, 01:56:54 pm »
Hi all,
I have been off grid for 40 yrs. I used a  12dc system for the first 20 yrs, but it requires large wires and switches and connections have to be perfect. If you use 120vdc, the current is reduced by a factor of 10 but the losses are reduced by a factor of 100. 20 yrs ago I went to a 144vdc system because most modern electronics rectify 120vac and get about 150vdc, so they will run directly from the nominal 144vdc (140-180vdc) with no modification. My solar panels, batteries and distribution system works at this voltage. I have a 144vdc input inverter for the few ac loads I have. Switching power supplies  that say 100-240vac will work on this voltage and are very efficient. Switches and breakers are the hard part. 144vdc arcs badly, but heavy duty switches on light loads work fine. Many 480vac breakers work on 144vdc. My system is ultra efficient and worked for many years using off the shelf equipment. But 144vdc input high wattage output inverters are hard to come by; so I planed to build my own but generating a pwn sine wave was holding me back and when I found the egs002 board on ebay, I got started putting it togather. I was looking for info on using the 002 when I ran across this thread. You guys have giving me some very useful info and ideas, thanks. I am using Fugi 2BMI75N-060 igbt modules and a Traid 2500va toroid transformer 100vac in 120vac out for a slight step up and isolation. The thing I am unsure of is the specs for the dc link (dc input) caps.
I=E/R Not just a good idea, it's the law.

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #413 on: January 14, 2017, 02:48:12 pm »
3-5000uf will be enough to do 5kw or so at those voltages.

.........oztules

Offline 144VDC

« Reply #414 on: January 14, 2017, 03:51:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply Oztules
I don't have any that large in my junk box. Have some 470uF that tested good after putting voltage on them for a few hours. Guess I'll buy some bigger caps. I like to experiment, so maybe I'll get some cheap ones and some with low esr or low impedance and monitor the temperature.

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #415 on: January 14, 2017, 05:17:23 pm »
Thanks for the reply Oztules
I'll get some cheap ones and some with low esr or low impedance and monitor the temperature.

The low ESR will probably help them handle transients, but since you're feeding them with DC, I don't expect them to have any appreciable temperature rise, since there should be so little ripple current. (But I could be wrong!)

(Completely different thing to running it off full-wave rectified mains!)

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #416 on: January 15, 2017, 03:40:11 am »
Ross... I thought that too.
On one of them I was frugal with the caps for testing... and after a few hours at 3kw, the 2 caps I  did use were very hot. Then used four, and they barely got warm.... not a linear thing somehow.

.........oztules

Offline 144VDC

« Reply #417 on: January 15, 2017, 11:29:03 am »
I think to start with I'll use the two 820uF caps I have and two 5uF film caps to help with high frequency. Then monitor the ripple voltage on the buss and the temps of the caps at different loads. I saw a 8600uF 300v on ebay for < $60US. I'll probably try that next.

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #418 on: January 15, 2017, 06:35:39 pm »
Yes, the "bypassing" of electrolytics is important to their longevity in this stuff. *Way* overlooked (possibly intentionally?) even in commercial versions of... everything.

It applies in either direction -  On the supply side, they're needed to help soften the blow that the lytics have to provide at each turn on cycle of the switching mosfets...

Likewise, on the output side (in the case of a DC supply), they're needed to catch the initial hit coming out of the rectification.

I make it a point to try to put at least one bypass cap across every electrolytic in everything I can, and it certainly improves both operating temperature and in turn, life span of the electrolytics. Tantalum for the lower voltage end of things, mylar film on the higher voltage stuff.

Inductors [typically found] between electrolytics simply aren't enough.

Also, as Oz's observations demonstrate, you're better off in terms of overall ESR and heat by using multiple smaller caps in parallel rather than fewer larger ones. This isn't to say you can't also have the larger caps, but putting them further away from the "front line" (but not excessively) and letting the smaller ones take the switching abuse will improve overall life.

You're dealing with 2 different types of transient in things like inverters - the higher frequency spikes for the switching itself, and "slower one-off" surges for things like starting motors and such. The larger electrolytics are much better suited for the latter.
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline lighthunter

« Reply #419 on: January 18, 2017, 10:49:06 pm »
Oztules or clockman, it has been suggested to change gate drive resistor to 5r6 and diode, this for the 8010 and 002 only? does it also help original pj cntrl board on 48v?

I know some of you have your DC-AC inverters outside in sheds and various places. This winter has been a bit colder than the past few and my basement temp fell to 50's as i no longer use gas furnace jst hot water from owb. The pj inverter is in basement and i lost 2 FETs on 2 different occasions. Decided i  better do something about it. The PJ starts up from PLC signal each day at 9 am. I noticed lights would flicker a few times immediately after PJ starts up. This i concluded was shoot through in H bridge, very bad for FETs. I took 4w incandescant and put inside inverter case above circuit booard. Now there are no startup issues
Health Warning: May contain traces of nut!
LH