Author Topic: testing the egs002 inverter board  (Read 147634 times)

Offline billy

Re: testing the egs002 inverter board
« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2016, 09:27:50 am »
Great work clockman,

could you post a close up of Ozs control card?

Thanks

Billy

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2016, 01:03:45 pm »
Clockman, I didn't see this for some reason
http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php?topic=1116.msg11784#msg11784
Note: the 7812 and the 7805 are actually tip35c transistors.
I had left the original part numbers there, when I redesigned the board, but did not change the part numbers ( as they are basically useless for my purposes in testing.. it is all pretty fluid)

It does not affect the board obviously, but if you build it using those  (7812, and 05 regulator )parts....... you will have problems... ie no power and dead regulators.

I think thats it.... you can send me a card and I will test it if you like :)

The pdf had it correct and the BOM (http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php/topic,1116.105.html)

5607-0

........oztules

Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2016, 01:34:39 pm »
Yes got it, I did wonder what the 13v and 5.6v Zenners were doing, and no normal standard layout for the Voltage regulators that I normally do.   Now I understand that you are using TIP35c NPN transistors.

Something like this?
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STMICROELECTRONICS-TIP35C-TRANSISTOR-NPN-100V-25A-TO247-/351424177631?hash=item51d28365df:g:CIQAAOxysE5Sa77H.

2 Power and 2 Control cards on there way to you.
PS you might have to bend the legs of the TIP35c a little to get them in the T022 size holes.

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2016, 01:42:04 pm »
Can't wait.....

Yes they are the ones, but I usually only pay about 80 cents/piece ( AUD)...

...........oztules

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2016, 01:54:47 pm »
Here is the OzControl Board.

I only had a few made as I thought this board might need amending here and there, plus I see some doubling up on the silk screen, and the components & values are not particular clear with this PCB Target software, so I will probably do a proper silk screen for this Control card when we are happy, so "Its painting by numbers".

I see that the Power board silk screen wants a few bits of text moving slightly the Dimensions have been solder masked out in a couple of places, whoops!

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #215 on: May 06, 2016, 04:30:52 pm »
Clockman, only things I can really pick is that....

1. Holes for mounting should not have any copper under or around them... so it can have solid studs instead of plastic stands.... ie if someone was not aware, they could use steel screws and stand off or brass etc, and short the whole thing out inadvertently... design the thing idiot proof so the heatsinks cannot interfere with the board.

2. Those trim pots are not generally available here, but seem prevalent in Europe... so make the holes for both types.... ie the cheap chinese ones with .2" hole spacing, and the Euro types as you have.

3. make sure the hole size fits the tip35c... looks small, may need slightly bigger hole for easy removal if necessary, or even wangling it in initially.... would not hurt to be as big as the trim pot holes.... and make the zener holes slightly oversize, they may need replacement if anything goes wrong.

Thats it... can't wait to hook her up.

................oztules

Offline billy

« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2016, 04:51:19 pm »
thanks Clockman,

billy

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #217 on: May 07, 2016, 02:50:02 am »
Yes, will do oztules.

I forgot about the OzControl PCB mounting holes, I tend to use those Insultated Bakelite, 3mm threaded copper inserts stand offs, my old stock. But yes for future boards will amend.

Trim pots, again its what I have in stock, 30 odd years old, sadly just got some new, and they are .2" and .2" spacing. Will amend the board with an extra mounting hole.

Yes, will amend for the TIP35c fitting holes.
Zenner Holes I will enlarge, at present they are for the 1.3w.

I note you are using some blue coloured Caps, tight against the driver chips, they are listed as 104's. I was going to use my normal ceramic disc types?.... Okay?

Thanks again.

Offline Antman

« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2016, 01:15:19 am »
Hey Guys just thought I'd give an update on mine as I've done a bit of work.

The board handles 50 amps easily without cooling and with a fan blowing over it the board sits a few degrees over room temperature. With 2 OZ copper instead of 1 OZ 125 amps would be easily achievable. I'm also only running 12 mosfet's at the moment instead of 20.

I'm still not completely happy with the design since I don't like things sitting on their limit so I am going to re design it one last time with 12 x 12mm aluminium as bus bars. These will be screwed in through the bottom and will be used to clamp the mosfet's to the heat sink underneath. I will be able to tap M8 holes in the bus bars to attach transformer leads and DC in with proper lugs. At 144 square mm the bus bars will handle a few hundred amps easily ;D It'll be very compact too at 200 x 100 x 65 mm including the heat sink :D

I also want to add another temperature probe for the transformer.

I've ordered these heatsinks for the bottom. I built the board the same size on purpose.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-2pcs-200x100x18mm-Large-Black-Anodized-Aluminum-Heatsink-Cooler-For-LED-Cooling/32536868358.html

I'm going to order one of these transformers this week so I can do some higher power testing
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10000w-transformer-for-10000w-LF-PSW-power-inverter-dc-12-ac240v-AS2-1-/262419278407?hash=item3d19686a47:g:6NcAAOSw2GlXJ~sF

I may need to send a board to someone on here to test a high power 48V system. Oztules you would be a pretty good candidate!

Heres a short video and a pic of the new revision

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #219 on: May 08, 2016, 03:39:13 am »
Oztules would be a happy candidate..... but, I fear the buck converter will need to be replaced with a different unit.......

I had not looked at youtube for these things, but there are a lot of 002 units out there.... all very small, but out there anyway.

Not too many folks are aiming for house size units, all are little aux units...... we are doing the unthinkable.. running houses on home brew... and then turning on  everything at once including kettles and hot water units just to load it up.....pretty cool now I think about it. Most  commercial units won't go that far, so we are really competing with the real power inverters.... and not looking too shabby either.

and doing it for pennies really..... amazing stuff.

Keep at it, your fabrication is very professional....

.................oztules

Offline Antman

« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2016, 06:11:51 am »
Yes oz it's quite amazing what a bunch of backyard hobbyists can achieve these days with the Internet. My latest inverter cobbled together with a tiny 200va transformer can start loads my $600 inverter won't. Also with testing its more efficient too.

You're right with the buck converter. It's the last weak. I need to design my own but I'm just too lazy.

I'll keep you posted

Offline Phred

« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2016, 09:28:32 am »
I am going to re design it one last time with 12 x 12mm aluminium as bus bars. These will be screwed in through the bottom and will be used to clamp the mosfet's to the heat sink underneath.
Relying on Al for heat sink is one thing but for buss bars it is another. The danger will be electrolysis / corrosion between Cu the Al over time.  The idea of not relying on a fan for cooling is a brilliant goal ..........fans behave like vacuum cleaners sucking up dust and the inverter ends up as a bag full of dust.
Guys keep up the good work

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2016, 04:08:36 pm »
hmmm yet another cunning idea I see you have.

Insulated from the heat sink, and still get current carrier.... worth a try.

Phred, not sure the electrolysis is the problem here...  There are 24 fets in the PJ with their copper heat tabs directly bolted to the AL sinks... with steel /zinc screws... no signs of decay after many years.

..............oztules

Offline Phred

« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2016, 05:25:17 pm »

Phred, not sure the electrolysis is the problem here...  There are 24 fets in the PJ with their copper heat tabs directly bolted to the AL sinks... with steel /zinc screws... no signs of decay after many years.

..............oztules
Had direct experience with motor cycles with Al engines bolted together with gal fasteners After few years the bolts threads suffered corrosion because of electrolysis. Even SS fasteners on solar panel frames is not recommended. It's different with the transistors on the heat sinks they are generally anodized. I have seen lead shims used to give better metal to metal contact to enhance heat transfer. It isn't that more expensive to use Cu buss bar (HB) with Cu or brass fasteners.     

Offline Antman

« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2016, 05:29:08 pm »
Thanks oz. I think it'll work out quite well.

As for the electrolysis I have thought about it. The aluminium will be screwed in with stainless steel screws so there shouldn't be a reaction there. The pads around the screws do not have any bare copper either. They are hot air solder levelled so a coating of solder is over them. I also have the option of immersion gold finish which is designed to stop oxidisation. I'm not sure which option would be better. Does anyone have any thoughts?