Author Topic: testing the egs002 inverter board  (Read 147801 times)

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
Re: testing the egs002 inverter board
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2016, 03:34:31 pm »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CBB61-Polypropylene-Film-Motor-Start-Run-Capacitor-2uF-50-60Hz-450V-AC-New-/121147884237?hash=item1c34fa02cd:g:HXQAAOxyod5SJp9o

I built 2 in an afternoon... that includes etching the board etc..... it really is the way to go from the point of view of keeping things going under any circumstances... eg lightning strike etc...

Are you doing the 002 or the 8010 version?

............oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2016, 04:05:34 pm »
I forgot to update the pdf with the minor change at the diodes for the current.

so here it is....very minor in the scheme of things... so if you have already etched, just cut the track where needed. between the 2 sets of diodes for the current sense.
* 80109A.pdf (50.74 kB - downloaded 749 times.)

............oztules

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2016, 05:33:00 pm »
going the 8010. seems like a better plan i ordered most of the parts last night but it will take a while for them to get here. i forgot about the undervoltage issue with some of the chips and forgot to check before ordering them. if i got the wrong ones is it going to cause me any major issues?

Cheers,
           Sam
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2016, 06:00:26 pm »
Under most circumstances I can see... no... it won't make any difference.

I only wanted to get it to work because it wasn't working on my non 002 version... so I thought something was wrong.... when I found out the thing wasn't installed.... I was happy.... I couldn't care less it it was there or not... but I needed to know if the chip had a problem.. it doesn't.. works perfectly.

Apart form testing, it will never come into use in the real world..... unless your woefully under batteried, and over extending the output... usually the AC control is very tight, less than a volt over 5kw range.

It would be useful to  use a nano to take care of battery under voltage and you can use that for ac over/under as well, and just drive the current or temp input to halt operations and restart when you want.

Today I cobbled together a different power board to take advantage of the aerosharp or inspire inverter heat sinks.

This is only a test bed... so don't laugh too much.

The fets are only clamped down onto silicon heat strip... very quick to dismount... it is oddly spaced as it is an old test bed for a solar pumping system I made years ago.

This will be the way I will progress forward...... it is far more buildable without tooling to shape heat sinks etc.... or even no heat sink, and screw it onto a box full of water..... dont see it heating much up though, it is very efficient.

Here it is running a 2kw load for the last 15 mins.... everything is stone cold
5516-0

and again...
5518-1

and again...

5520-2

and then a rainbow came out to celebrate... both ends of it are in the same paddock.... not pots of gold I'm afraid

5522-3

This looks to be the way to go if you have big heat sinks..... I may go surface mount for this one...... terror.....

...............oztules

Offline RFburns

« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2016, 12:52:47 am »
Nice Oztules. Wonder how Clockman is going with the ouput board overlays for home use?

All that's required for completeness is a PCB layout for the output board and roll your own cheap reliable inverters pretty much can be made at reasonable power levels and cost (especially if you salvage the transformers ,heat sinks and caps from  a donor old grid tie) :)
Get With It ,Get Over It , Get On With It ...Or Leave

Cheap and reliable wont be fast.
Cheap and fast wont be reliable.
Reliable and fast wont be cheap.

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2016, 12:56:04 am »
holy crap Oz,
every time i think i have a plan you make me want to start over.

that would make an awesome setup for 3-5kw in a standard inspire 1.5 box with very little work .
i think by the time i am done i will have 500 inverters and one house just like you haha

Cheers,
           Sam

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2016, 03:19:46 am »
Yes Dr Zogg... I have about a dozen spare inverters that will run the house easily.... don't know why I haven't stopped yet.... but just improving the system is sort of a mantra I think... from 4 years ago when I didn't know what was inside the things, we have progressed a long long way.

I never expected to build my own from the ground up with just blank copper and chips off the shelf... never.

Still, the transformer is the key, once that is done, everything else is simple, and this latest board makes it simpler to build physically, and gives you nearly the entire cavity of the inspire to use for the tranny... and far better use of external cooling ( those familiar with the inspire will know they have huge huge huge heat sink, near 1/2 inch thick and long and wide..... hate to think what they would cost off the shelf.... they weigh a lot.

So RF, I think we are nearly there. This board has heaps of solar ribbon and solder to build up the copper on both sides.

The capacitors did heat up at 3kw after a long period (30 mins or more) as they are only 85C types, and have poor ESR I would think.... but they didn't get over 45C.. but it was just a test.... the copper input wires got warm too.... but the fets never got to skin temp in that time.. as expected really.... no fan used... but was there in case I wanted it. 30 mins should be enough to get to running temp for them... also not enough capacitance for higher power levels i would think........ and I didn't put  a film capacitor in parallel... forgot it... that should help.

..................oztules

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2016, 03:30:57 am »
it really is great what you have achieved, not only for yourself but for everyone else that is following along. i know that i truly appreciate the help that you have given me. it has made it possible for me to set up our new place better than i would have imagined. I thought i was going to need to be running a big generator but thank god i won't have to now. thumbs up mate job well done :)

with the 2uf cap on your control board do i use 1 of them or 2. it looks like there are 2 on the overlay but only 1 on the pic of your board?

Cheers,
           Sam

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2016, 04:48:38 am »
It is only used for wave shaping... and I don't find much difference really.... take your pick. 2-4 seems about right
Your welcome if you get anything useful out of it.

............oztules

Offline frackers

• If it moves - computerise it!
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2016, 06:41:36 am »
I forgot to update the pdf with the minor change at the diodes for the current.

so here it is....very minor in the scheme of things... so if you have already etched, just cut the track where needed. between the 2 sets of diodes for the current sense.
(Attachment Link)

............oztules

Can you confirm my scaling? I get a total copper size of 139mm x 78mm with the 0.1 inch spacing on the 'expander' board.

Also, did the adapter boards look like this? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/20pcs-LOT-QFP32-turn-DIP32-With-Grounding-Plate-TQFP-LQFP-EQFP-0-8MM-Pitch-IC-adapter/1807997780.html
Robin Down Under (or are you Up Over!)

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2016, 07:45:00 am »
not sure of the total size, but if your scaling makes the pins .1 inches for the converter board,and driver chips, thats all that matters.

my boards were different, as they were for 2 different sized chips, one one side, and different the other side.. those look to be fine though.
mine were these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301725262964?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

...........oztules

Offline Phred

« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2016, 06:29:40 am »
Forgot to add this one too. Its a bigger version with much more images showing it in use with various transformers.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-1pcs-1800W-5500W-DC12V-24V-36V-48V-to-AC-220V-pure-sine-inverter-board/32637730780.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.44.ut8jCV&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9,searchweb201602_5_10017_10005_10006_10034_10021_507_10022_508_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_6&btsid=d7e2931a-fdd2-404a-ab4a-c692c960a062
For anyone who wishes to buy It is cheaper from Taobao but the problem is to enter the shipping address the pages go into Chinese. With the help of my neigbour's friend I have registered my shipping address but struck a problem with payment Ozzie bank visa or mastercards aren't accepted by Alipay only cards from Chinese banks like Bank of China. In 2-3 weeks will get one of these & c if it works. The offer by BoC is the exchange isn't loaded with 3% fee so one pays on the straight  exchange rate on the day.  For a comparision Aliexpress = AUD190$ Taobao = AUD94.09 incl shipping in both cases

Offline oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2016, 06:15:26 pm »
This site is easy to work with   http://www.yoycart.com/Product/528093395667/

They are kits at these cheaper prices...  think the alibaba ones were built.

...........oztules

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2016, 05:06:33 am »
Hi RFBurns, sorry been out of the Country recently.

I am happy with the main NewPowerBoard 5off masks for the single DIY make version, but with single thickness copper boards extra solder might be required, but this needs testing.

I have taken the design a step further by going to GERBER files for a PCB manufacture, . But its been a painfully steep learning curve, New PCB Software that will accept DXF from my CAD and I can work it, then export to GERBER Files.
 Got that far but stuck on the pre-vew stage, and I am still uncertain if the machines see that I want vast amount copper and big tracks?
Then there is the manufacture that wants GERBER files in a particular order and type.........

Work so far..... roughed out OzControl Board on its way.....

o

Offline ClockmanFrance

« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2016, 05:10:25 am »
and ready for GERBER........