Author Topic: New Tower From Scratch Part Two  (Read 5603 times)

Offline hilltopgrange

• No Personal Text Set by User
New Tower From Scratch Part Two
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »
   New Tower From Scratch (part two) Repost from fieldlines July 15, 2010, 02:03:32 AM »   

Following on from part one here
http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php/topic,109.0.html

Each section has two tight fitting pipes inserted into the leg ends like a dowel, its mate has a single dowel, the three dowels ensure the sections only fit together in one position. the dowels also differ in length by 1-2 inches this to make aligning them easier as only one dowel at a time has to be inserted. The sections are the pulled together and three bolts fitted through the cross members. Now is when you see if the accuracy has been worth the effort! the bolt holes all aligned perfectly. This is tricky to explain so hopefully the next pix will help.

203-0
204-1

Next job is to fit the diagonal braces cut from the 1/2 re-bar and again double welded in place. The cross bracing incorporates a ladder on one side and is very securely welded. The cross members form every other step in the ladder, the diagonal braces all go the same direction to leave foot room on the ladder rungs zig-zagging would have partially obstructed the rung.

Thats the first section completed just three more to do! each section is basically identical except for the hinge on the bottom and the stub mast on top. Assembly of each section is pretty quick and only takes a couple of hours.

The base of the tower is a simple pipe in pipe type hinge, I took a pic but seem to have lost it!

The stub mast is 4in dia x 12ft long and is inserted 2ft into the top mast section, centred and securely welded in place. At this point I also made and fitted guy anchor points from re-bar.

211-2

Thats about it just needs cleaned,de-burred and painted, this is the bit I hate, I detest painting but it had to be done.

205-3

206-4

207-5

207-6

208-7

Job done all painted up and prettyfied! and straight as a die!

So there you go thats how I did it, all in from the steel being carried into the workshop until it was carried out again with its paint dry was four days not to bad.

This is the forth lattice tower I have built over the years, the others were for ham radio antenna and nowhere nearly as stiff as this one has turned out. Previous towers I built in 20ft sections in a 20ft jig and without cross-members, building the jig was as much work as the tower. The use of the cross-members saves building a huge jig and the 10ft sections are a lot easier to handle. Next year I will be extending this tower by at least another 20ft and it will be pretty easy to reach for the jigs and just make another two sections

Total cost for this tower inc steel,mig wire, paint and cutting disc etc is just under £200 ($400)

Next job is to fit the tower to its base and raise it, I ordered a new winch a few weeks ago and it finally arrived it is 12v 12000lb and will live on the front of my old Land Rover Defender but I need to build and reinforce the bumper and chassis. I could just use the Land Rover in 1st low but I like the control of a winch plus this winch has a radio remote control to keep me out of the kill zone, we will see soon how it works out. The winch bumper I built for it took 6 days to complete, I thought at the start a couple of hours would do it lol. Heres one last pic of the winch on my old Land Rover, Defender she is 19 this year and still going strong.

210-9

So thats another project done and dusted, next task is to lower the 10ft turbine and tower and replace the tower with this one and my 12ft turbine. The 10ft machine and tower have been promised to my wife, she wants a couple of lights and a radio in the poly-tunnel, a small water feature pump and some led garden lights. Thats if it ever stops raining!

Was it worth the effort? I think so but I will let you all decide that for yourselves!

Russell

Offline artv

Re: New Tower From Scratch Part Two
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:55:05 pm »
Russell,
Have you put this in the air yet ??
12' mast with only 2' in the lattice may work fine for an antenna....but put a set of blades on that mast and I think you will have problems..
It will either bend at 3'(on the mast) above the lattice or about 2' below the inserted mast on the lattice,(4' on the tower).....assuming it's free standing
Guy wires may help......cantilever rule ........1out...2back
Not trying to offend ,just trying to help..........artv

Offline hilltopgrange

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:32:54 pm »
Hi artv
            this is a re-post from fieldlines back in July 2010.
The tower was raised shortly after completion and was home to my 12ft turbine for a couple of months I then moved the 16ft turbine on to it and it has ran on it ever since. the tower has three sets of four guys, the top set is on a sliding coupling just below the blades.

I am located in a very high wind area and regularly get winds of 80-90 mph average is about 18mph, Ive never had a problem with the it, just a couple of weeks ago it survived 101 mph storm that caused havoc across the UK. I think that with the exception of a direct hit from an alien space ship it should be fine. I plan on extending it by another 20ft this summer and next year I will be building another identical tower for another 16 footer.

Russell

Offline philb

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:46:14 pm »
Hilltop,
You did a really good job on that jig to keep the tower so straight.
What pipe and pin dimensions did you use?
Making pin lengths was a brilliant idea. I've had to put 3 legged weather towers together before. That little addition would have made the job much easier!

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 11:47:53 pm »
I rebuilt an old Rohn someone cut apart and trashed.
In retrospect maybe a little bit of time wasted considering the cost to get a used one.

I used it as an excuse to the wife so I could buy a *cheap* wire feed welder.
Your post kind of reminds me of it.

it still took a bit of rebending as it looks like it was just dropped then cut apart with a sawzall before trashing.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline hilltopgrange

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:29:22 am »
Hi Philb,
            the legs are 1.5 inch galv pipe and the pins are a snug fit inside I cant remember the od. The most critical part was the cutting of the cross members as each one must be identical. The little jig and hole saw I used on the vertical drill ensured each cross member was exactly the same length and the curved cut matches the curve of the legs.

Thanks for the comments and I am glad it was of interest to you.

Russell

Offline hilltopgrange

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:39:41 am »
Hi Wolvenar
                 I have played with  a few them antenna type towers as I used to be a radio ham I gave up on them as they are a bit flimsy for a turbine. I dropped one by accident with an 8ft turbine on it and it twisted like pasta, it took about a week to get it sort of straight. I seem to have spent most of my life hoisting heavy lumps of metal into the air lol.

Russell

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:26:12 pm »
This is exactly why I have no genny up now, these towers just wont handle it.
I have a friend I am trying to talk out of a couple sections of commercial tower, but so far I have not been able to get that to happen
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline kenl

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:19:17 am »
Russell,

I really like the different length on the dowel joint idea. I built a tower out of tubing and had a hard time getting the sections to line up with each other. Kinda hard to slide them together. Another set of hands would have really helped.

Your way I would have only had to worry about joining one leg at a time.

kenny