Author Topic: Building a 6kw pure sine wave inverter using power jack boards part2 the guts..  (Read 32337 times)

Offline ringundango

Hello to all. I'm new here in that interesting forum, from Spain.
What do you think about that?

http://s.aliexpress.com/JvuuMVVb

Regards!

Offline Dr_Zogg

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Offline can man

ringundango
you can find some information here
http://www.anotherpower.com/board/index.php/topic,1116.255.html

-------------Eduardo

Offline NJM

Hi, i am new in this forum, i'm almost a ignorant about eletronic, but i will try ; i bought the  the LF 5kw 24v to 110ac 6ohz  main board and the board control from power jack, i have a plan to mount a power inverter, i need deperatly if sombody out there could give me a help, i need just a draw, how to wire the power transformer, fans, sensors, battery terminals, on-off switch, can be drawing by hand.  If anybody need more details, i my send the pictures. Thank you all. NJM.

Offline lighthunter

Here are some photos from the book showing some connections.

I dont know what transformer you will be using but make sure you test it by connecting the small leads to 120VAC through fuse, then measure the large leads with an AC volt meter, Large leads should measure about 18.7VAC. So for 24/110/60hz control board should use a transformer measuring a ratio of 120/18.7. A small variance wont make a difference but should be close.

The small leads (120vleads) should connect to the board terminals marked 'maintxN and MaintxL'  The large leads (18vleads) will connect one each to the split heat sinks bolted to threaded holes. The ribbon cable from main board to control board should just plug in unless they gave you solder in ones. Your output power to outlet will connect to p3 and p4 on the control board. The 24v battery positive is connected to the large heatsink all in one piece on one side of main board. The negative battery lead gets connected to the 4 black wires with ring terminals coming from capacitors.  Then you need the on off switch two pins.  Oztules has an excellent illustration of the on/off switch connection in first page of this thread. Better yet, read this whole thread before you hook power to anything.

Have fun with it and be careful to detail.
Health Warning: May contain traces of nut!
LH

Offline NJM

Hi, lighthunter, first, thank you so mutch for your prompt response, i have  2 transformers transformers that i took from the APC UPS 3000. They have the same caractheristics, but i have one doubt, this UPS is 3000va, 48v battery bank imput - 220ac output, the primary has 4 wires, as you see in the photos, to test them i used a serial lamp, put the primary  in serie, black-white   +  black-white. and the secundary also in serie,  you can see the pictures, i have the 18v imput and 120 output, the only thing stranger, the serial lamp test, did not came off 100 per cent. What you think, can i go on or i'm going in a wrong way. thank you one more time. NJM

Offline lighthunter

Looks close enough to me! You are correct 48/220 is the same as 24/110 it will have lower no-load current used as 24v which is bonus. Perfect choice of transformer as far as voltage ratio goes. Its not going to be 3000va anymore at 24v though. It should do 1.5kw  without any modification. I wouldnt expect these to have been series connected in the original ups circuit, then again, maybe they were.  Just seems odd for a manufacturer to do that. However they were connected would be the way you would connect now since you arent changing the voltage ratio. After you are comfortable with your 1.5kw inverter and how it all ties together you may want to keep your eys open for a couple 3000va toroids on ebay then you will be able to run 5kw steady with your new boards. Looks like you have a great start :)

Edit
I looked at your picture closer and there is another way to connect these transformers that will give you the full 3000va ability of the pair. Because of the original connection shown, I believe these transformers are each 24/110v 1.5kva  transformers.  They were originally connectd in series to be used as 48v/220 conversion. Now that you have a 24/110 use for them you can simply take one transformer and use it in your powerjack inverter. It will work perfctly by itself. The larger white and black leads will be connected to one each of split heat sink while the secondary smaller winding will have a 110v pair of wires that get connected to maintxN and maintxL. When you have everything working then you can add second transformer by joining white to white and black to black for primary. Then pair up one of the 110v output wires to the other same color wire, turn on inverter and masure voltage between last wire and where you plan to connect it. It should measure 0acV with power on. This insures correct phasing of the parallel transformer connection.
LH

Offline NJM

Hi Lighthunter, thanks. I'm not sure but i guess the APC company build a variety of the UPS using the same components, just changing the configuration. For exemple; the ups in question was used for almost 8 years at my job. Here in Italy is 230ac 50hz but the ups is 220ac with both , 50 and 60hz. Thats why i beleave they change a little bit from model to model. Thanks again.njm

Offline lighthunter

Hi NJM, that makes sense. Since your control board is 110, you can still series connect secondaries and get 220 if you need, thats how i use mine. The frequency of the board i think is fixed to the stamped value unless you know how to hack password protect microcontrollers.

Best to you,
LH

Offline NJM

Hi, Lighthunter, and to all. First i would like to say many thanks to Lighthunter and oztules, for the oportunity to share and get the preciuos information, thank guys. Today i made my first bench tests, or table tests using my 5kw power jack board and board control. After look and reading all the informatios and photos i got started. I just made the simply way, to put it on sevice, this time i used only 1 transformer as Lifgthunter told me to do. The cooler system i made separed, i did not use the boarder pins, just to turn on and off,  i used the 20 pins grille.  Issue, i forgot to mesure how many volts come from the 20 pins socket. The rest, seens to me everything round. I'sanding some pictures, ideas, critics, informations acetable. Tank you.

Offline lighthunter

Good job NJM! :)  The part about only using one transformer was to avoid the problem of opposite phasing of 2 transformers. Now that you have a feel for how it all works, you can connect up the second transformer. If in parallel (same voltage but doubles power ability) then connect only 3 of the 4 wires up, then turn it on and measure the voltage between the 4th wire and where you intend to connect it to. This should be 0 ac volts. Once verified then you can shut off and connect the fourth wire. Of course if you want 220v then the two high voltage windings will be series connected. Still has to be phased correctly but consequence of doing it wrong is simply 0 output volts,

Wouldnt hurt to put an inline fuse for each transformer output but make sure the feedback to the powerjack control board gets its sample(connection) before fuse. That way if a fuse blows, the inverter will not get hurt. if feedback were connected to output side of fuse, it could blow up the fet board simply because a fuse opened.  In addition, be sure feedback wires have good connections and no chance for a wire to come undone. I fear some have lost their expensive boards while playing with transformer connections.

Great work!

LH

Offline NJM

Hi  LH, thanks for your reply.  As you said in your post, i think is better use two transformers and get 3000w  110v. Could you please draw the wire connections for me please? Just remind you, both transformers have the same wires collors.by my tests, also the voltages ate the same. Have a good day.NJM.

Offline lighthunter

Hi NJM, i cant tell by the photos, which wire colors are you connected to for 110v??

Seems like it should be black and white of 4 pin connector but im not sure.

LH

Offline NJM

Hi LH as you can see in the 4fh picture above, i made 110v connecting the white+black wires from the transformer, you can check the others voltages on the photo below. Ps: I found the exactly voltages in both transformers. But is possible  a set up, the transformers primary wires to use the inverter, 110v and 220ac?, I know if i use it in 220ac the wattage will be half, 1500w, for me it's ok. You said i need use one inline fuse, but how many amperes?. thanks. NJM

Offline lighthunter

Ok, good info, thank you.

Heres a quick drawing i think will be fine for your use. This gives you two 110v outlets that can operate at 10A each. If you cool your transformers and monitor temperature of them you can put 15 amp fuses in each one. Its true if you need all 3kw to go to one 110v load then this connection only gives you 1/2 that. However you can use two 110v loads, one on each outlet with a total of 3kw provided you use 15amp fuse and watch xfmr heat.  Circuit breakers can be substituted as you wish. Note the polarity of your outlets. I did not include that in drawing.

The P3 connection to control board allows the pj control to see load current and shut down if it gets out of hand. In your case with LF5000 board, that may happen at 15A should be close to that i think it gives 10 sec of beep before shutdown. It can be increased or decreased but in your case it will be fine.

You might check no load current again when you have both xfmrs connected. If its over 2 amps you may benefit from a choke installed in one lead of pj heatsink connection. Others have done well with this, if you are not running this 24hrs a day dont bother.
LH