Author Topic: Inverter Draw  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Tonysamms

Inverter Draw
« on: October 07, 2015, 04:18:16 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and hope you can help me.

I have setup a small off grid business recently. I use batteries to run a cctv system around the clock but the system doesn't run as long as expected. My main query is how much the inverter is using and whether a smaller inverter would draw as much as a larger inverter when using the same amount of power.

The system that I am running draws 31w (approx 0.35a). I am using 2 x 12v 125ah batteries in parallel. I am using a Sterling Power PropowerS 350w 12v pure sine inverter.

Unfortunately I am only getting about 35 hours of continuous coverage. As I am only using 31w (this actually goes to 65w for about 5-10 mins of the day when I click the monitor on to log into the system I wondered if a smaller inverter would drain less power from the batteries? I was thinking of moving to a 180w Inverter.

I also have another 2 x 125ah batteries that I charge with a heavy duty battery charger (38amp) for about 15 hours a day each, which I change with the used ones.

I hope this all makes sense and would appreciate any help you could send my way.

Many thanks, Tony