Author Topic: Motorcycle Tron wheels  (Read 2747 times)

Offline dcondrey

Motorcycle Tron wheels
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:07:44 pm »
I've purchased some EL wire which came with an attached AA battery pack to power the wire.  I'd like to mount these wires around the inside of the rims of my motorcycle and have them power by the momentum of the wheel turning so when the vehicle is in motion they light up and when the vehicle stops the light fades away.  I have no problem disassembling the center hub but the front wheel does not have this, only an axle bar.

I'm not really very familiar with electronics, I work as a programmer.  I have recently been reading about such things as magnetos, dynamos, and flywheels but am hoping to find some guidance on how I could build this.

I'm not sure if it would be more ideal to use an LED string as opposed to the EL wire.  I just like the EL wire because it's bright but not too bright and can be very inconspicuously mounted to the rim rather easily.

Thanks.

ps: the motorcycle I am planning to build this on is a 2013 Yamaha YZF-R6.  And I'm not concerned about whether these lights are technically street legal or not.