Author Topic: want to attempt some powerjack mods and could use some help. oztules?  (Read 10555 times)

Offline Dr_Zogg

Re: want to attempt some powerjack mods and could use some help. oztules?
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2016, 12:03:01 am »
well all i can say is BANG!.
i would say that there must be something wrong with the control board, because i just strapped it onto my brand new 15kw mainboard and BANG.
any ideas where i should go from here, funds are a bit tight so i can't afford to just buy all new parts.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2016, 03:30:20 am »
Good grief... the whole lot's is shot I'm afraid.
I suspect your smaller control card was intermittent, and that probably led to some fet problem in the fet baord... putting the 15kw controller may have pushed your probably by then fet board too far.... and then took out it's drivers.... I suspect the whole lot is toast now.

The control cards may be fixable if the damage did not go past the opto and totem pole driver transistors... in which case fixable if you able to do that sort of work.

The better news is the fet cards are easy to fix... simply replace all the fets or at least all the fets that are short... and they are usually only 70c/piece.

This is why I developed the last board.... in this case I replace three plug in chips, and the fets and we are fully renewed.... chips about $5 all up.... fets $24.00 for the set max..

If you try to fix the controller, then use 1 fet in each leg only, until you get it working properly, you don't want to kill 24 each time you mess up, and it is hard to test the control card out of the system

Normally you could drive those loads easily with the 15kw board and controller.... how small is your smaller unit?.. usually 5kw units will start anything anyway, and they are self protecting if the board is fully functional... your had a fault... you may get a new board/s for free if it is recently purchased.

I would urge you to try to build my little board, It seems to work fine, and you can tune your voltage and current points as you want..... I have not been able to kill a 8kw fet board with the new controller, no matter how hard I try to push it.

Remember, if you use the 002 design to remove the 393 and do the pin bypass on it, and change the resistors on the gates on the fet board to 5r6 and put diodes across them... read that whole thread a few times until you get the feel of what I did, what worked, and what did not.

Hopefully PJ will replace the boards free.

..............oztules

Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Dr_Zogg

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2016, 04:14:33 am »
the smaller unit was a 6kw and is out of warranty by 10 days :( i have let the project drag out a bit long haha.
i am waiting to see if they will consider warranty on the 15kw unit. fingers crossed and i am seriously thinking that i might build a couple of your control cards seems like a much simpler design to troubleshoot should i have more problems in the future.

i have ordered new fets for the 15k unit and will work out what the resistor values are tomorrow and order them as well.
if they do the warranty on the 15k i will end up with a spare one so i won't bother fixing the 6k unit if it works out that way.

when i flicked the switch and saw the electrical forest fire i did think it was a pretty impressive show, then the anger kicked in hahaha

well now i'm off to read over your control board thread again, then start ordering

oh and i have some more pics that i will put up of my finished triple stack trans

Cheers,
           Sam
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most