Author Topic: hey norm  (Read 3400 times)

Offline hiker1

• hiker
hey norm
« on: June 04, 2015, 02:42:15 am »
    Hi Hiker,
         was wondering if you could give me a plan on your one windmill that
    swings out of the wind as the wind speed increases?

not much to my mills norm-but they can handle a lot of wind..i belive like 50-60 mph was the max they got hit with.. i did make a few with motors...........what about a downwind design norm-no need for a tail -and all its hassles of getting it to furl ..should work great with a tread motor.. all you would need is a couple scrap pieces of 2by4 to make the motor mount-just screw and glue a couple of those togeather-what ever length you need..your pipe flange mount would go on that also--then screw on a short length of pipe to that -for a pipe  in pipe mount.--the mill would still turn out of the wind -because it would be mounted a few inches away from center-you would have to play around with how far or close -to center that is... drill a hole down thru the mount to run your wires down the inside of pipe..heres a pict of one with a tail...if i turned my blades around and took off the tail it would be a downwinder..hope this helps out-
was going to pm you-but dont know how to add pic. so here i am...........

just do it

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
Re: hey norm
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 06:43:12 am »
Hey Hiker,
Looks simple enough as the plastic blades turn the wrong way for a left handed thread
treadmill motor ....I could mount the blades so the blades would be turning the proper
way ....so what is the angle for the tail mounting ?
that's about all I need to make this project ...thanks for the answer....
later ......bye the way I had/have a 22 inch self propelled lawnmower that the motor
just don't want to run so .....off with its head ...literally and remove the rings ...just
using the piston and rod for balance so the engine just holds the blade and pulley for
the self propulsion drive ......will post pics as the project progresses .

Offline hiker1

• hiker
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:19:48 am »
not sure on the angle -norm..  something i had to play around with..i just drill a hole thats   angled off to the the right plus angled back as well..as your drilling from the backside of the gen..if you have a long enough drill bit--i use a long wood bit..just drill the boom and gen mount at the same time-that way everything matches up--no weird angles when you go to assemble...just hold the tail boom straight back on the gen mount as you drill............
the drill dosent have to go all the way thru the the gen mount--just enough to get the right angle--then finish it off when the tail boom is out of the way.......a piece of fan belt works great to hold the tail in place-just drill and screw that on-never had one fail..
your tail should lift up at a angle as you fold it back...practice on some scrap wood to get that angled  tail mount..
oh yeah--i insert a short length of 1/2'' pipe in the tail boom to act as a bearing-i use a long bolt that goes all the thru the gen mount plus the tail boom..let the boom rest on a nut and whasher......well hope that makes a little sence to yah.............
just do it

Offline hiker1

• hiker
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 02:14:41 am »
just screw the belt down with a couple of whashers ...
heres a high def photo..................
just do it

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 06:54:00 am »
wow how time flies well still on that conversion project of the self propelled mower
agh have to get a special wrench the cap screws for the rod uses torque head bolts
uses a wrench instead of a torque driver .....well maybe the neighbor has one  maybe I can catch him this morning when he comes out to walk the dog .
So catch ya later
Norm.