Author Topic: Truck AC System  (Read 3847 times)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
Truck AC System
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:35:40 pm »
This is a little bit of an attempt to separate the AC and DC systems, as they tended to blur in the truck DC system thread...

To start this off, I took a shot of the inside of the inverter... It's a high frequency Xantrex ProSine 1800. I don't have anything bad to say about it really, but there are a couple of minor modifications I want to make to it, primarily regarding the fan. It's bang-bang operation is a little jarring at times, and leaves a little to be desired cooling-wise as the point that I operate it at is basically just under the trigger.

To alleviate this, I'm going to tie in a continuously variable fan control based on heatsink temp, and allow the original bang-bang to react and fire up the fan as well. This won't help with the unnerving part so much, but at least will keep it at a relatively constant temp.

I also will be reversing the fan, as it pulls down thru the bottom, fighting convection. Cooling seems adequate by convection alone when the fan isn't running, but I'll be more comfortable if it runs as cool as possible full time.

I'll also be adding a DS18B20 probe to log the [YTBD] heatsink with the warmer tendency.

4081-0

Construction quality is decent, so I have a little more confidence in its reliability than I did before opening it. I can say that I would recommend this inverter (not necessarily over another, just no negative comments aside from the little fan mode thing, personal pet peeve more than anything I guess) :)

More as it comes.

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
Re: Truck AC System
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 05:45:21 pm »
Aaackk! I see this thread definitely deserves some attention :o

Ok well let's do a quickie on the "auxiliary" power board...

4540-0

Left to right, top to bottom...

AC shore power breakers
Dedicated heat circuit for shore power w/ GFCI
Ground lift for upstream GFCI anti-trip
Primary lighting control box

PV disconnect
Battery thermal management buck converter
100W MSW inverter for lighting

Battery thermal management control box

More as it comes...

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.